Comlex score and EM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dkwyler94

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my COMLEX I score back about 20 minutes ago and was a bit disapointed. I generally do quite well on standardized tests. On sample tests I was doing pretty well. I thought I had done well on the test after leaving it. I did not.

I know boards scores aren't the most important. I think I will do well on rotations. I am doing a volunter week in the ER right now, and the doctors are complimentary and have said I should do great on rotations. There isn't a residency in this ER, but the doctors have said they would help me get into a program(whatever that means).

So here is my question. I am a DO student at KCOM about to start my 3rd year.

Scored 37% on Comlex
Didn't take USMLE
48% for class rank.

If things do go well in rotations, would you think I have a reasonably good shot at getting into an ER program, or should I start looking at other areas of medicine?

Thanks
:(

Members don't see this ad.

Don't fret. Quite yet.

True, board scores are a criteria used... but they are not the only ones. Good to see you are pretty much right in the middle of your class rank. That's good news.

You'll need to do well on rotations (I'm sure you will). Don't freak out and become a stress-ball about it... just do good work. On your EM audition rotations, show interest, go the extra mile, and it'll make a difference.

What DO program are you at? Where are you doing your rotations at (just curious).

If you rotate at an MD institution and get a decent LOR, I think you'll have a shot at an MD program. You'll have a good shot at a MD program. If you stick with DO programs, you probably won't be as lucky (but still possible) if you apply to MD programs. If you just want DO programs, shoot, you can pick whichever one you want, they're so muhc less competitive.

Consider tkaing the USMLE. Not sure what your schedule is like... but if you say you are a good test taker, it may be worth your while.

Q, DO

I was wondering how competitive I will be for a MD EM residency as a DO student? I scored 211/86 on USMLE and a 597/ 87% on COMLEX. I am a MS-III. Any input?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick reply. I am a student at KCOM. I'll have to think about the USMLE. I decided against it before, but everyone has been telling me it is a much better test than the COMLEX.

Talking to some of the doctors in the ER tonight, one who just finished his residency a few months ago, they didn't think it would be that big of a deal if things went well on step II and my clinicals go well. Like I said, I have done well on every standardized test I have taken until this one.

Comlex Score--595 (86%)
GPA--3.25 (not sure class ranking)

Will I be competitive for a MD ER residency? I am looking at programs in the Southeast, such as UF, Palmetto, and MCG.

Any input would be great. Thanks...