COMLEX Score for DO Urology Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biggiesmall

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my step I score back and I scored a bit lower than what I was aiming for. I got a 548 on the COMLEX. Does that keep me in the mix for Urology? I have a lot of non-uro published research and am starting a uro project next month. Any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

the osteopathic GME match report from 2009 (most recent i could find) says average is 548 with a range from 443-622 so you are right at the average at least for that year.

Things are much more competitive since 2009. Most places only taking 1 or 2 residents, some before the match even occurs. Had a friend who was told that the hard line cutoff for both step 1 and 2 is 550 for ranking to match direct from several PDs.

you may interview but many programs wont rank scores < 550.

Members don't see this ad :)
Things are much more competitive since 2009. Most places only taking 1 or 2 residents, some before the match even occurs. Had a friend who was told that the hard line cutoff for both step 1 and 2 is 550 for ranking to match direct from several PDs.

you may interview but many programs wont rank scores < 550.

While this is somewhat discouraging, especially since I am only 2 points from this "cutoff". I have a lot of published research in and out of urology, and have done very well academically and am hoping that these areas plus an improved score on step II can put me over the edge.

Has anyone out there match to a DO Urology program with below 550?

Hey guys, I am bumping this thread instead of starting a new one. I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on a decent score that could possibly match for urology? I'm sitting at a 540 comlex and am wondering if I am completely out of the running for urology. Many thanks

So I know there are a few programs that have 'cut-offs' at 600. That being said, people have matched with lesser scores. If you really want it, go out and get it.

Reactions: 1 user
I matched uro with a sub 600 score (new account for anonymity), so it's possible. That being said, it is far from the norm. while I want to give hope, I'd say if you are in this spot, get a backup plan in place. Seeing friends go through the Scramble was painful, avoid at all costs. The success of reapplicants to urology is abysmal. I applied to two other specialties (gen surg and some medicine) which was overkill and made for a crazy interview season but I had a plan.

So my advice to overcome a low step 1/2 score:

1. Everything else has to be pristine. Grades, research, extracurriculars, LOR'S, etc. should be exceptional. Don't give another reason for them to doubt you. Show dedication and desire to be a urologist.

2. Work hard on audition rotations. Being on the other side of things, you can see a difference in students.who are engaged, interested, and want to work. Come in early, stay late, volunteer to help, ask questions. All of these things are well known, but doing it all day everyday for several months is tough. Push yourself to be the best without taking down people around you.

3. Develop relationships. Your application gets you to the door, how you interact and fit in gets you through it. I am by no means an extremely outgoing person or much of a salesman but I tried really hard to get a "feel" for the program and see how I fit in. Making genuine relationships with residents and attendings will help move you up the rank list if people go to bat for you and say, "i really liked being around this person, they would fit in here". I was told that this conversation happened for me on many occasions.

4. Sell yourself. Do.not hide behind your scores. Do some reflection as to why you didn't do as well as you wanted andbe able/willing to discuss this and why you think you aren't a reflection of that number. This was the most uncomfortable part of my interview experience until I embraced it and quit trying toake excuses.

I recognize that I Ann very lucky in getting a spot but I didn't stumble into it. If you have a blemish, be it scores or something else, you have to work harder to overcome it because every year there are 40 people with applications as good or better than yours. Work hard, follow your gut and have a backup plan

I matched uro with a sub 600 score (new account for anonymity), so it's possible. That being said, it is far from the norm. while I want to give hope, I'd say if you are in this spot, get a backup plan in place. Seeing friends go through the Scramble was painful, avoid at all costs. The success of reapplicants to urology is abysmal. I applied to two other specialties (gen surg and some medicine) which was overkill and made for a crazy interview season but I had a plan.

So my advice to overcome a low step 1/2 score:

1. Everything else has to be pristine. Grades, research, extracurriculars, LOR'S, etc. should be exceptional. Don't give another reason for them to doubt you. Show dedication and desire to be a urologist.

2. Work hard on audition rotations. Being on the other side of things, you can see a difference in students.who are engaged, interested, and want to work. Come in early, stay late, volunteer to help, ask questions. All of these things are well known, but doing it all day everyday for several months is tough. Push yourself to be the best without taking down people around you.

3. Develop relationships. Your application gets you to the door, how you interact and fit in gets you through it. I am by no means an extremely outgoing person or much of a salesman but I tried really hard to get a "feel" for the program and see how I fit in. Making genuine relationships with residents and attendings will help move you up the rank list if people go to bat for you and say, "i really liked being around this person, they would fit in here". I was told that this conversation happened for me on many occasions.

4. Sell yourself. Do.not hide behind your scores. Do some reflection as to why you didn't do as well as you wanted andbe able/willing to discuss this and why you think you aren't a reflection of that number. This was the most uncomfortable part of my interview experience until I embraced it and quit trying toake excuses.

I recognize that I Ann very lucky in getting a spot but I didn't stumble into it. If you have a blemish, be it scores or something else, you have to work harder to overcome it because every year there are 40 people with applications as good or better than yours. Work hard, follow your gut and have a backup plan

Thanks for the post. What kind of back up plans did you have? I'm debating between allopathic IM vs osteopathic IM.

Also it's strange that u say getting a uro spot is tough without a 600+ and yet the avg comlex level 1 for uro is 550 according to the nbome.

Posted using SDN Mobile