COMLEX Score for EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hypoman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

After a ton of research, the best thing I can come across for this info is the 2012 update on average board scores per specialty. I know things have gotten more competitive since then, especially EM, and I just wanted to hear some current input on what sort of scores land EM these days. I'm currently a second year osteopath student very interested in EM... Boards are around the corner and it's just been on my mind. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

After a ton of research, the best thing I can come across for this info is the 2012 update on average board scores per specialty. I know things have gotten more competitive since then, especially EM, and I just wanted to hear some current input on what sort of scores land EM these days. I'm currently a second year osteopath student very interested in EM... Boards are around the corner and it's just been on my mind. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Are you talking ACGME, or AOA? From a username like "cranialcrazy", I'm thinking AOA, but, if not, essentially, if you are ONLY doing COMLEX, if the person on the residency end is not a DO, then the likelihood of that person even knowing about the COMLEX is nearly nil. I don't know if they even line up linearly, and I'm not a DO, and all I know is if you have a 400 whatever, that's not good, and if you have >600, that's really good. In other words, need more detail!

Are you talking ACGME, or AOA? From a username like "cranialcrazy", I'm thinking AOA, but, if not, essentially, if you are ONLY doing COMLEX, if the person on the residency end is not a DO, then the likelihood of that person even knowing about the COMLEX is nearly nil. I don't know if they even line up linearly, and I'm not a DO, and all I know is if you have a 400 whatever, that's not good, and if you have >600, that's really good. In other words, need more detail!

Hey thanks for the input - sorry I left that out. I'm referring to only applying AOA. I anticipate a COMLEX between 550-600, and a USMLE 225-230 (based on practice tests). I didn't want to apply EM with under a 230 since that's average.. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do as well as you can, don't worry about numbers now. You still have 2 years of rotations ahead and your interests could change (or stay the same). Either way, work hard and do as well as you can.

Also, yes average may be 230. But that still means a WHOLE lot of people matched EM with less than a 230. I agree with Apollyon as well. If you are sure that you ONLY want AOA then save your money and do not take the USMLE. If you think you might apply to MD programs, then by all means take both.

A COMLEX >600 is awesome, but rocking auditions means a lot more in the AOA world than boards from my experience.

A COMLEX >600 is awesome, but rocking auditions means a lot more in the AOA world than boards from my experience.
Yeah, it seems (to me, at least) that some/many of the AOA programs are like the Wild West - they gotta know you, but, also, will tell you that you're "it", then stick it to you. The music stops, and someone is left without a chair.

agree with the above posters. AOA programs in general put heavy emphasis on auditions. that being said, I received a number of interviews from places I did not audition. to give you a ballpark for numbers, I was mid-high 500s on comlex and got around 15 invites out of 25 applications. hope that helps

Reactions: 1 user