Comments, Suggestions, Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teknos1s

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1.) Im seriously thinking about going into dentistry. my grades were very bad in Highschool, and OK in the first semester of college due to family issues and my mother having a stroke...However now im back in school after taking a year off and am currently doing very well. Straight A's so far.

2.) I know im smart enough, but theres another situation which bothers me. Finance. Both of my parents are unemployed and we're very poor living in subsidized housing. Can i afford my way through dental school?
confused.gif

3.) I was also thinking about just becoming a dental hygienist first then working to become a dentist later. That way i can get atleast some finances in quicker, and use that money to help fund my education.

4.) Do i have to specificly go for dental hygiene or can i just simply go to school for general dentistry then take a test to be a cert. hygienist along the way??

5.) the cheapest dental school around me is UCONN and even then tuition alone is about 44K a year...:confused: and this isnt even including dorm cost...

Im currently 20 years old (21 soon)

PLEASE help with any suggestions or past experiences or any insight what so ever...thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

1. That is fine, just keep up the good grades

2. Borrow the money, attend a state school

3. Dental hygienist is a separate program, don't bother, just go for dentistry.

4. See 3

5. Don't go to UCONN...move out of the subsidized housing into a dorm room at your nearest 4 yr, state university. The great thing about being poor, is that you won't have to pay nearly as much for school.

Good luck

1.) Im seriously thinking about going into dentistry. my grades were very bad in Highschool, and OK in the first semester of college due to family issues and my mother having a stroke...However now im back in school after taking a year off and am currently doing very well. Straight A's so far.

2.) I know im smart enough, but theres another situation which bothers me. Finance. Both of my parents are unemployed and we're very poor living in subsidized housing. Can i afford my way through dental school?
confused.gif

3.) I was also thinking about just becoming a dental hygienist first then working to become a dentist later. That way i can get atleast some finances in quicker, and use that money to help fund my education.

4.) Do i have to specificly go for dental hygiene or can i just simply go to school for general dentistry then take a test to be a cert. hygienist along the way??

5.) the cheapest dental school around me is UCONN and even then tuition alone is about 44K a year...:confused: and this isnt even including dorm cost...

Im currently 20 years old (21 soon)

PLEASE help with any suggestions or past experiences or any insight what so ever...thank you.

Do d-school the American way, on credit. Practically everyone pays their way w/ student loans. I wouldn't do the hygenist thing cause you'll just be delaying the higher income years of being a dentist. How much could you save anyways as a hygenist? You won't be able to work while in school either. If you want a school near New England, try going to Buffalo. After 1 year there you're considered an in-stater and the tuition is relatively cheap.

Members don't see this ad :)
well my family is actualy in the sub. housing, not just me. UCONN is the closest state school by me that offers a dental program...(i live in massachusetts) my other options are BU and Tufts which are UBER expensive but i'd get to commute...

id be looking at around 250K in debt if i entered Uconn. and thats the cheapest of all school i've seen. and that makes me nervous..

everything that Regmata said + you can pursue in-state residency and this is almost always possible to do after the first year. so don't worry if you're out of state somewhere now. the thing is that it is just harder to get into a state school in some regions. so do your homework and see which state schools take a good amount of out of state candidates.:luck: