committee letter from undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

no game pimp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,
i was a miserable student in undergrad (graduated 2004). i was lucky to graduate on time. so basically, i don't know if i should get a letter of recommendation from my undergrad's pre-med committee. For alums, they just write a composite letter based on a personal statement, CV, and letters that you have submitted to them.

i've been taking classes at my state university part time since i graduated. i don't qualify for getting a letter from their committee (not enough credits, one c, need a minimum of b's), so i couldn't do that...

i want to apply to master's programs this upcoming cycle-- should i just send in individual letters from recent profs and doctors, or go through my undergraduate committee, and get them to submit a composite letter for me?

i dont' know if i would be at a disadvantage for submitting individual letters and not bothering to go through my alma mater.

any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got into a masters program...and depending on the program...you have to submit multiple letters...it isn't like medical school that requires a composite letter....atleast the program that I applied to.

I got the premed committee to send out the letters that they required to write a composite letter...does that make sense? I also asked an employer, a physician, and another prof to write me a letter of rec.

I think you would be better off asking individuals to write the letters assuming that you did well in their clases...just my opinion..hope it helps.

As a general rule, I don't think most master's programs are as picky about having a committee letter as med schools are. So just sending in your individual letters should be fine.