Committee Letter vs Applying Early

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressingout

premed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying this cycle to some MD schools, but mostly DO. However, because my stats are sub par, I need to apply early to maximize my chances of getting in. The premedical committee at my school is supposed to write a letter for me, but they still haven't done it yet. I just received an email from them saying that they send letters all throughout the summer up to the END OF SEPTEMBER!!!

The end of September is so late in the cycle!! I tried asking where I was in the line to be reviewed, but she wouldn't tell me because it's against policy. My question is what's more important here: obtaining a committee letter or applying early?? Especially with a low MCAT!

Members don't see this ad.

Applying early, definitely

Applying early, definitely

That's what I was thinking. When I told my premed adviser I might withdraw from the committee because of this, he told me it isn't wise because applying without a committee letter when you come from a school with the option of having the letter looks bad. Do you know if that's true?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I was thinking. When I told my premed adviser I might withdraw from the committee because of this, he told me it isn't wise because applying without a committee letter when you come from a school with the option of having the letter looks bad. Do you know if that's true?
It may look bad if a particular school is aware your school offers committee letters or asks explicitly about it in their secondary. Personally I think a late September letter is a great reason to skip out on it.

It only looks bad if you don't have a good explanation for it. Often, people will avoid committees because committees know something they don't want the adcoms to know - sketchy conduct, red flag during committee interview, maybe you took all the blow off courses, maybe you failed to take advantage of opportunities that are very common and expected in your school, etc. Plenty of applicants apply without the committee letter.

I'd hold out for the committee letter if it comes in time so that you are complete by the end of August. Any later than that, and I'd skip out on it.

For your position, yours may come in the summer, or later on in September, it sucks that they don't give you even a general idea of your position in the queu.

Okay seems like I should withdraw and get my application completed now. I'm just curious but would a committee ever write you a bad letter because your MCAT is low (26) even though other parts of your app are strong? Because one concern I had with sticking with the committee was that they might end up writing me a bad letter anyways

I'd hold out for the committee letter if it comes in time so that you are complete by the end of August. Any later than that, and I'd skip out on it.

For your position, yours may come in the summer, or later on in September, it sucks that they don't give you even a general idea of your position in the queu.

I know! It's extremely frustrating

skip the committee letter. i'm lucky bc my school doesnt have a committee and i dont have to go through that ordeal.

Reactions: 1 user
Ahh I'm sorry man. Do you know what you're going to do?

I'm keeping the committee. The good part is that my application for the letter and everything was completed on the earliest possible date, so I'm hoping it will be submitted sooner rather than later. And I at least know that everyone else from my school will be in the same position or worse as me. Since my school and committee are very established, I think medical schools won't hold it against me too much.

I'm keeping the committee. The good part is that my application for the letter and everything was completed on the earliest possible date, so I'm hoping it will be submitted sooner rather than later. And I at least know that everyone else from my school will be in the same position or worse as me. Since my school and committee are very established, I think medical schools won't hold it against me too much.

Sounds like a good plan for you. My committee is very established as well but I'm afraid my letter will end up being bad as well. I also applied to it quite late. I'm leaning on withdrawing from it. Best of luck to you and your application!

Reactions: 1 user
OH WAIT!
I submitted my application with the committee letter assigned to my medical schools and now it's not letting me remove it!
" However, after you submit your application, letter assignments cannot be changed."

Is there really no way to change this? Even if I call?

It only looks bad if you don't have a good explanation for it. Often, people will avoid committees because committees know something they don't want the adcoms to know - sketchy conduct, red flag during committee interview, maybe you took all the blow off courses, maybe you failed to take advantage of opportunities that are very common and expected in your school, etc. Plenty of applicants apply without the committee letter.

Do you know if there's any possible way to change letter entries on amcas once submitted?

Do you know if there's any possible way to change letter entries on amcas once submitted?
There is not. You can only designate in AMCAS that the letter will no longer be sent. This is unfortunate since I believe now if you decide to skip the committee letter schools will see that you initially thought you would have one.

Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile

There is not. You can only designate in AMCAS that the letter will no longer be sent. This is unfortunate since I believe now if you decide to skip the committee letter schools will see that you initially thought you would have one.

Well I'll explain that I withdrew from the committee because my application would be completed too late. Do you think that will hurt me as an applicant?

Where on AMCAS can I designate that the letter won't be sent?

I think you should ask the committee if the date that the letter is sent out corresponds to how early/late you get the LORs to the committee. I would suggest not giving up on the committee unless you are sure that you are going to be in the "September" batch of letters.

I think you should ask the committee if the date that the letter is sent out corresponds to how early/late you get the LORs to the committee. I would suggest not giving up on the committee unless you are sure that you are going to be in the "September" batch of letters.

Yeah it does correspond to that as well as when you received your MCAT score. Based on that, I'd guess that they'll send mine late August/early September. But there's no way to be sure unfortunately.