Communicating with Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SdoubleA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried getting in contact with admissions counselors or recruiters after getting rejected or even during the application process? I'm reapplying to DPT school this year and considering emailing a counselor to get advice on strengthening my application, but I'm wondering if this has actually benefitted anyone.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't do this myself when I was applying, but I had a friend do this, and it helped her get into the program she is now attending. Before applying, she called the program and they were willing to set up a meeting with her to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of her upcoming application, and the admissions counselor gave her suggestions on how to strengthen her application. My friend ended up getting admitted and is now attending that program. Not every program would be willing to set up this type of one on one meeting, but it definitely doesn't hurt to take the initiative and contact them. I've also seen a lot of people on these forums mention asking programs that rejected them how they could improve their applications, and getting honest feedback. I think it would definitely be a good idea to do that.

I didn't do this myself when I was applying, but I had a friend do this, and it helped her get into the program she is now attending. Before applying, she called the program and they were willing to set up a meeting with her to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of her upcoming application, and the admissions counselor gave her suggestions on how to strengthen her application. My friend ended up getting admitted and is now attending that program. Not every program would be willing to set up this type of one on one meeting, but it definitely doesn't hurt to take the initiative and contact them. I've also seen a lot of people on these forums mention asking programs that rejected them how they could improve their applications, and getting honest feedback. I think it would definitely be a good idea to do that.

Thanks! That is definitely useful information, I am going to contact some programs to get feedback. Appreciate the response

Members don't see this ad :)
We have a lot of applicants and aspiring applicants come meet with us. We set up all meetings with faculty; Admissions is not involved, well with admissions, at my University. And faculty here are happy to talk with applicants before they apply or after rejection.
But one word of advice....make sure you meet the minimum requirements before you set up a meeting with any PT Program. Because that will be the first piece of advice any one you meet with will give you (meet the minimums). We have gotten so many requests for applicants to meet with us, we now start with an email to make sure they meet minimums, so we aren't wasting our time, the applicant is not wasting their time and money to a school that will not even review the application.

We have a lot of applicants and aspiring applicants come meet with us. We set up all meetings with faculty; Admissions is not involved, well with admissions, at my University. And faculty here are happy to talk with applicants before they apply or after rejection.
But one word of advice....make sure you meet the minimum requirements before you set up a meeting with any PT Program. Because that will be the first piece of advice any one you meet with will give you (meet the minimums). We have gotten so many requests for applicants to meet with us, we now start with an email to make sure they meet minimums, so we aren't wasting our time, the applicant is not wasting their time and money to a school that will not even review the application.

Thank you for the advice! I have contacted some programs to see if they would meet with me to review my application in order to see what I could improve on to strengthen my application for the upcoming cycle.