Community College Classes after graduating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justarandomperson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
**Please do not Quote**

Dear SDN.

I am pondering how the following situation will be looked at in the eyes of ADCOMS:

Background:
Did a few years of community college before transferring to a UC where I completed two years of upper division science classes (I was an a popular premed STEM major). I graduated in 2014 and will be applying next summer hopefully.

My UC GPA is slightly higher than my community college GPA, but nonetheless, both are competitive. Cumulatively (cc + UC), my GPA is a solid 3.8. My sGPA is actually slightly higher than my cGPA. However, I am planning on taking two more science classes that I heard were very helpful in medical school that I did not take in undergrad. There is also the added perk of a very slight GPA bump (on the order of 0.01 - 0.02 increase).

The possible problem:
Will ADCOMS see this as a cheesy attempt to raise one's GPA? I don't have the money to pay thousands of dollars to take this course at a 4 year state school. I would much rather take these classes at a community college where I already have priority registration, pay much less for classes, and that are more flexible with timing (I work so this is an issue). Considering that I've proved my ability in the sciences given the bolded statements above, how will such a move be considered?

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you want to take these two classes? If the sole reason is you think they might be helpful in medical school, why not just audit them instead of taking them? Then you don't have to deal with the effects of this scenario at all.

Reactions: 1 user
**Please do not Quote**

Dear SDN.

I am pondering how the following situation will be looked at in the eyes of ADCOMS:

Background:
Did a few years of community college before transferring to a UC where I completed two years of upper division science classes (I was an a popular premed STEM major). I graduated in 2014 and will be applying next summer hopefully.

My UC GPA is slightly higher than my community college GPA, but nonetheless, both are competitive. Cumulatively (cc + UC), my GPA is a solid 3.8. My sGPA is actually slightly higher than my cGPA. However, I am planning on taking two more science classes that I heard were very helpful in medical school that I did not take in undergrad. There is also the added perk of a very slight GPA bump (on the order of 0.01 - 0.02 increase).

The possible problem:
Will ADCOMS see this as a cheesy attempt to raise one's GPA? I don't have the money to pay thousands of dollars to take this course at a 4 year state school. I would much rather take these classes at a community college where I already have priority registration, pay much less for classes, and that are more flexible with timing (I work so this is an issue). Considering that I've proved my ability in the sciences given the bolded statements above, how will such a move be considered?

It appears that you are taking those two classes for interest. I did something similar, taking an immunology class through UC Berkeley extension and some non-sciences classes at my local community college after completing my post-bacc. I think it doesn't hurt since you already have done well in sciences classes at the UC level. However, if I were you, I would focus on something else like working. It's nice to learn something that may help for medical school, but once you start, you will be inundated with so much information that the material you learned from community college will be minuscule in comparison. I would take the time to do something you won't be able to do if you were in medical school.

I agree with WedgeDawg to audit the classes to save money and stress from getting A's.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I audit them I wont get the full experience, and auditing also limits the chance of getting to sit in the class. What if I do pass no pass? Would that seem like I figured I wouldnt do well in the classes to adcoms?