Community college classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasminperez27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if when applying to vet school if it looks bad if you took some core classes in a community college instead of you school?

Members don't see this ad.

In theory, most of the colleges have some statement out there that says that they don't really care what school you take the class at, and that there is no weighting that goes into a supposed academic rigor of a school. However, I feel like in practice that this may not be the case 100%, but who knows to be honest.

The one hesitation I have for you however is that more and more schools are adding a caveat to their prerequisites that says that the pre reqs must be completed at a 4 year institution (although it doesn't specify YOUR 4 year institution). Since community colleges, for the most part, are not 4 year institutions, you may run into that problem with some schools. Thus, I advise that you contact the institutions that you wish to apply to, in order to see whether or not they have this rule in place.

Core courses meaning English, algebra/calculus, fine arts, literature, world civilization, physical education requirements and non-science electives, then absolutely not a problem coming from a community college.

Core courses meaning biology, chemistry, genetics, organic chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, and other required sciences courses, then there may be limitations depending on the school. For example Oklahoma requires organic chemistry, genetics, nutrition and biochemistry be listed as upper division course and be taken at a 4 year institution. But other schools have zero requirements at 4 year institutions.

That said, I took physics and microbiology at CC and, honestly in both cases the classes turned out to be really easy. I imagine that is not the case for most course, but it did happen for those. But, more importantly, it did not effect my acceptances.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
As others have mentioned, it depends on the class, depends on the college.

Some schools want certain classes taken at a four year college. Many community colleges don't meet that criteria.

I've only taken one course at a community college because it fit my schedule better, but looking back, I should have taken more. It was cheaper. The class was smaller. The teacher was more accessible. The credits were 100% transferable to my main school (my state college had an agreement with the community college).

So I would have to call the vet college is there anyway I could use assits.org instead

It should be posted on the school admissions pages if they don't allow certain things, but if there are a couple of schools that are your top choices, you could call to see if there are "preferences". I wouldn't worry too much about calling all the schools. If it was a big issue, they would make it public information (state it online) or you'd hear a big outcry from people here (which I haven't seen).