Community College Credits Bad Idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikkivale

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recieved my bachelors in 2004 and have decided that I want to stop putting my real dreams to the backburner and go ahead to medical school.

With my full time work schedule its kind of difficult to attend all my classes at the local 4 year university (I live in an extremely small town) the only option is to take some classes at a community college. I only plan to take Physics I and I have already taken Biology I there and I will take the rest at the 4 year university.

Do you think it may hurt me if I take 2 intro classes at a Community College? Or should I just wait until i'm able to take them all at a University since I already have my bachelors?
My main medical school choices are in-state: Wake Forest, East Carolina because they have good programs and its really cheap.

Members don't see this ad.

How long would you have to wait until the 4 year?

The only ways that I can see it hurting you are if the classes which are the first part of a sequence are incompatible with the second parts taken at the university, or if there was a long enough break between them for you to forget the material. It's not the name of the place that will hurt you, just coordinating between the two institutions.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only ways that I can see it hurting you are if the classes which are the first part of a sequence are incompatible with the second parts taken at the university, or if there was a long enough break between them for you to forget the material. It's not the name of the place that will hurt you, just coordinating between the two institutions.

Some medical schools (e.g. Case Western Reserve/Cleveland Clinic) strongly discourage their applicants from taking pre-requisite classes at a community college. Just FYI.

The classes transfer because they are a part of the North Carolina articulation agreement for state schools. I took the biology course 3 1/2 years ago.

How long would you have to wait until the 4 year?

well, that's what i'm not sure of, because i work full time i can only take courses after 5pm and many of the introductory courses at the university end earlier than that. Upper level courses such as Bio II, Organ etc is offered in the evenings there. don't know why

CC credits don't really hurt you as long as you do well in both the CC and the 4 yr school. The biggest problem w/ taking your classes at a CC is that it does not show academic competency. However, if you get strong grades in your 4yr university classes as well, it'll help show that you could had taken the other classes at a 4yr and still done well.

CC credits don't really hurt you as long as you do well in both the CC and the 4 yr school. The biggest problem w/ taking your classes at a CC is that it does not show academic competency. However, if you get strong grades in your 4yr university classes as well, it'll help show that you could had taken the other classes at a 4yr and still done well.

Thank you