Community College Credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BillyLungs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA - 3.5
Total CC credits - 105
DAT: TS-19 AA-19
Just transferred to a 4 year college
Took all my pre reqs at CC (will be taking more science courses at the 4 year university)

I know there are schools that have a cutoff for cc credits but will it help a lot if i applied early in the cycle for dental school? How detrimental is it to have 105 CC credits??

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools cut off around 65 which means you'll probably have to complete a full year of classes before applying. You'll probably end up with ~160 or so credits before graduating to be able to get in to most schools. If there are particular schools you're looking at I would say specifically look at their websites but as a blanket statement most schools will only accept an associates degree ~65 credits from a community college

Most schools cut off around 65 which means you'll probably have to complete a full year of classes before applying. You'll probably end up with ~160 or so credits before graduating to be able to get in to most schools. If there are particular schools you're looking at I would say specifically look at their websites but as a blanket statement most schools will only accept an associates degree ~65 credits from a community college

ok taking classes for another year was the plan anyway so that's good to hear! thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also be advised that alot of schools will not count prereqs from CC. So be sure to check if the schools you're applying to is one of those.

If so, you might have to retake them.

Holy hell, thats alot of CC hours.

Why do you have nearly a bachelor's degree worth of community college credits?

Anecdote: Pitt's website says "The admissions committee does not consider applicants who have been enrolled for more than one-third of coursework (both general and required courses) in community colleges or junior colleges. Grades of B, or better, are expected in prerequisite courses." At the time of application, I had 55 credits from a community college (and over 50% of the Prereqs as well) and only 41 combined from 2 universities and I got in. Do what you have to do, OP, but make sure you do well at the 4-year school.

Community college credits are frowned upon if taken in excess to cover core requirements according to Maryland.

Why do you have nearly a bachelor's degree worth of community college credits?

my local cc has a program with kean university where i can mostly take all my classes there but still get a kean degree.. i didn't realize i wanted to go into dental until i was a good portion of the way through with my degree