Community College or Post-Bac? $ Plays a major factor here...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDrewOutsidetheLines

Pink Panther & Hope Diamond
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Went to a known 4 year school for undergrad, have a Masters, and I'm a nontrad URM female.

Will potential med schools look down on me if I go the cheap route for my science pre-reqs?

I found some post bac programs for disadvantaged students that don't cost much (if anything) like UCLA Re-Application Program but they're mostly for re-applicants.

Not trying to be cheap, but I really can't fund or justify taking a formal or informal post-bac at a 4 year college...plus what if I ace the MCAT and get stellar science grades at a community college? (and then get into a pre-med post bac like the one mentioned to take higher level science courses) + volunteer work + EMT-B work?

Are med schools really gonna trip about it? I mean, what do I say, if interviewed, "My bank account was not as big as my dreams?"

Or would I just not be competitive at all to the "good" med schools?

Undergrad GPA: 3.34
Master's GPA: 3.45

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't do the community college route (I'm sorry i totally hear where you are coming from). You won't look as competitive as other applications that usually go to decent 4 year Universities. Better to pay for the postbacc and get into medical school for sure (if you get a good MCAT score and all other requirements are in order) than to waste money on the community college course and have a harder applicant process.

I know this because I went to community college my first 2 years of UG and even after eventually getting my masters from a good school I was still questioned about it in interviews

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for replying! I just found out today I got into Loyola's Post-Bac program here in Chicago! I'm gonna defer for a year and take a year of bio and pre-calc and calculus I at community college, then take one class at a time + volunteering + EMT-B work...and possibly even do an online MSW at USC at the same time before I apply to med school, so keep your fingers crossed I get accepted to that too!!

Reactions: 2 users
Listen I wouldn't take science prereqs at a community college. I took all my general education at a cc(don't know if this will come up in my interview, if I get one). I spent 3 semesters at cc completely these courses and then I transferred my credits to a university. I was so scared to take the science prereqs at cc route. Though I must say, it may take you longer because there is always a class you have to take before the next so you might want to fit summer sessions in there.

Last edited:
I took some general education at a CC, all premed courses at university, thus it NEVER came up during my interviews.

I would, like others already have, highly suggest limiting premed prereqs to the university level.