Community College/Pre-reqs for my degree (not medical school)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorJD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year student in community college. I started out at a community college because, I want to "nail down" my math skills and I also want to save money to further my education. I also wish to start pre-med at a University in a few years. My question is...how do you think medical schools feel about students who start out doing prerequisites in college. I didn't place "program ready" in math. However, I am averaging a high A in my brush up course.

Members don't see this ad.

Just make sure u get an A getting anything less at a community college will be a red flag. Ensure that you do get it and the sciences make sure you take entry level classes prior to taking the harder of Sciences

I don't intend on taking my sciences here. Hm...Really? Even if I receive a B on an elective?

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree, As/Bs fine, Cs not fine. What course was the B in?

I disagree, As/Bs fine, Cs not fine. What course was the B in?
I haven't received my final grades, yet. I think I may be getting a B in Microcomputers. I did however receive a C in psych101 last year. The only course I've taken before now. It was a 3 week accelerated course. That was the first and last time I've taken an nontraditional course.

I think b is time as well but aim high is all

Reactions: 1 user
one C isn't going to kill your chances...

one C isn't going to kill your chances...

ONE c won't kill his chances... But it should be a wake-up call. Getting a C in a community college Psych 101 course doesn't really bode well.

Just make sure u get an A getting anything less at a community college will be a red flag.

This is way too neurotic sounding to be solid advice.

Do your best and strive for good grades, but don't let a few poor ones drag you down.

Reactions: 1 users
ONE c won't kill his chances... But it should be a wake-up call. Getting a C in a community college Psych 101 course doesn't really bode well.

I can't even tell you how many Cs I have... I even have a solid F on my transcript that wasn't replaced... O M G... Still got in...

Reactions: 2 users
@Love4many

I apologize if my statement seemed critical of you, your statement just rubbed me the wrong way. It was no doubt made with the best of intentions, but I think pre-meds just need to "take a chill pill" every now and then - especially older students.

Members don't see this ad :)
He got a C in what will probably turn out to be one of the easiest courses he'll ever take. I wouldn't worry about the grade itself, but I am concerned that his academic chops need some serious improvement. That's okay, and expected for someone just starting out taking their first college-level classes... But IMO it's something the OP needs to improve in the future.

The reason I got a C was because I missed most of the homework...this may sound stupid but, I didn'tknow how to use collegeboard and that's what screwed me over. I had homework due on day and the next morning I had class. My professor didn't go over what was due which didn't help either... I'm not making excuses. Anyway, I spoke with my Micros instructor and I'm averaging an A. I'm now expecting 6 A's...

Doctor JD, work hard and get the best grades you can from now on and you'll be fine, particularly since you have quite a few years to show that was a fluke. Not everyone starts out with all pistons firing. It sounds like you ran into some technical glitches and handled it poorly. It happens. You learned from it. It won't keep you from med school.

As an aside and to help you for the future, don't expect professors to go over what is due and when it's due. In college, it's written on the syllabus and the professor often won't refer to it again. It's a change from high school, so some new college students have trouble with this. Both of my parents are college professors and have seen a huge increase recently in students complaining that they didn't know that an assignment is due when it's written clearly in the syllabus. It doesn't help that some professors, particularly at community colleges, are starting to treat college more like high school. So when a student gets a college professor that treats college like college, they're unprepared, but through no fault of their own. This may not have been your exact situation so I'm not calling you out or anything, but it's something important to keep in mind as you continue this journey! It will at least win you some brownie points with professors who are tired of having to deal with this with the masses :)

Doctor JD, work hard and get the best grades you can from now on and you'll be fine, particularly since you have quite a few years to show that was a fluke. Not everyone starts out with all pistons firing. It sounds like you ran into some technical glitches and handled it poorly. It happens. You learned from it. It won't keep you from med school.

As an aside and to help you for the future, don't expect professors to go over what is due and when it's due. In college, it's written on the syllabus and the professor often won't refer to it again. It's a change from high school, so some new college students have trouble with this. Both of my parents are college professors and have seen a huge increase recently in students complaining that they didn't know that an assignment is due when it's written clearly in the syllabus. It doesn't help that some professors, particularly at community colleges, are starting to treat college more like high school. So when a student gets a college professor that treats college like college, they're unprepared, but through no fault of their own. This may not have been your exact situation so I'm not calling you out or anything, but it's something important to keep in mind as you continue this journey! It will at least win you some brownie points with professors who are tired of having to deal with this with the masses :)

This is very true, Jamcat. Thank you for the advice.

I have prolly 40 cc credits.
Just do a good job, get your overall GPA where it should be (you know where I mean) and be confident. No one looks at a single C and shoots your application dead. No one expects straight As.

I am a first year student in community college. I started out at a community college because, I want to "nail down" my math skills and I also want to save money to further my education. I also wish to start pre-med at a University in a few years. My question is...how do you think medical schools feel about students who start out doing prerequisites in college. I didn't place "program ready" in math. However, I am averaging a high A in my brush up course.

I have 3 years of CC courses under my belt, and I just had what I would consider a rather successful application year. As long as you do well, you should be fine. I would hold the bio/chem/physics/biochem until you are at a 4 year college though...

Don't sweat it with your cc education. Just do the best that you can.

I have prolly 40 cc credits.
Just do a good job, get your overall GPA where it should be (you know where I mean) and be confident. No one looks at a single C and shoots your application dead. No one expects straight As.
I agree. Thanks for the advice.

I have 3 years of CC courses under my belt, and I just had what I would consider a rather successful application year. As long as you do well, you should be fine. I would hold the bio/chem/physics/biochem until you are at a 4 year college though...
Wow congratulations on your success!