Community college science pre-req's with online bachelor's in psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Danpt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i have been at a great community college for awhile and i will soon have my AA in kinesiology. The best thing about the place i am at now is that i have priority reg. and can therefore get into any classes i want. Currently the only prereqs i have are anatomy (with cadaver lab) (got a B) and and physiology(w/lab) and got an A.

I am worried that if i go to a Public univ. I will have trouble getting into the classes i need (im in Calif.) so I am considering spending two more years at community college taking only Sci. prereq's (Chem, physics, etc.) while at the same time doing a distance learning BA in psychology from university of maryland. If I get 3.5+ gpa on prereq's, obtain an online BA, and get a few hundred hours of PT observation along with some letters of rec. will I be looked upon favorable by DPT admissions at reputable schools

Members don't see this ad.

You might be able to get your BA from the state univ. and take any classes you can't get at the nearest community college. That's what I'd suggest. I went to both a comm. college and state univ. in CA back when programs were really impacted so I understand your concern! I think you are allowed to do this when courses are full or unavailable at whichever college you are mainly enrolled in. CA's community colleges are some of the best in the nation, so I would think that if you took some/most your science classes there it shouldn't be looked upon unfavorably, but of course it depends on the schools you are considering. You should go and talk to an advisor at the 4-yr school you're considering and tell him/her of this concern--they might have a solution. Do you mind if I ask which state univ you're considering?

I'm not sure how registration works at the state school you are considering, but at the one I went to registration dates were broken down by class - grad students registered, then honor students, then seniors, juniors, soph, fresh.....mostly freshman and sophmores had the only problems getting into classes they wanted and since you have an AA you'd be transfering in as a junior, right? I'd check with the admissions office at the school, it may not be a problem.

My undergrad was in a non-science major. I took almost all of my science classes at community colleges including many online courses and have no trouble with DPT admissions.