Community College to Med School: Questions

Solomon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see that this thread has been asked over and over again, but I have some new questions on this subject that i didn't find on the other threads.

My plan of Education after High School is to go to CC for 2 years and then Transfer to a 4 Year in North Carolina (UNC, Duke, NC State), And then go on to Med School.

Now Here comes the questions :):

How Viable is this option?

Should i do most of my prerequisites for Med School at CC or the 4 Year?

Bonus Question:

I was thinking of getting my RN at CC as well.

Does this boost my chances of getting in to Med School? (since I would have Healthcare experience)

Members don't see this ad.

I see that this thread has been asked over and over again, but I have some new questions on this subject that i didn't find on the other threads.

My plan of Education after High School is to go to CC for 2 years and then Transfer to a 4 Year in North Carolina (UNC, Duke, NC State), And then go on to Med School.

Bonus Question:

Does this boost my chances of getting in to Med School? (since I would have Healthcare experience)

If possible, go straight to a 4 year university. Taking prerequisites at community college will make you look less competitive than your peers. Some schools limit and even don't accept cc prereqs at all.
I am NOT saying that you have NO chance if you complete your prerequsites at a community college as many people have done so and got accepted.

I am a college junior who completed all of my prereqs at CC and is applying for dental school this summer.

As far as being a RN, you don't need to. You can shadow a physician and volunteer at a hospital to gain EC's.

good luck mate.

Bonus Question:

The option is viable, just make sure you earn good grades at the CC and the 4 year and do really well on the MCAT.

As far pre-reqs, there are two things to consider:

1. Taking the MCAT Junior year and having no gap year
If you do not start taking your pre-reqs at the CC you will not be able to finish them all in time to take your MCAT your junior year.
2. Whether schools accept or have a preference in regard to CC pre-reqs
Some schools may be biased against CCs, so its best to take at least a few of the pre-reqs at the 4 year. However, taking upper-level courses at the 4 year and doing well can also prove your abilities.

You will have to weigh the pros and cons of both options and figure out what will work best for you.

Bonus Question:

Earning the RN at the CC, could be good if you use it to be a nurse while you finish your degree. i.e. Working part-time as a nurse, while taking classes at the 4 year. That would not be an easy thing to do but it would be great clinical experience.

However, I would not get a 4 year RN knowing that I had no intention of using it. If you cannot actually use the RN than do not waste your time earning it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I took Bio, Chem, Calc, Stat as far as pre-reqs. All other classes were lower level classes for my degree. (History, english, psychology, sociology)

Just crush them and crush the upper levels at a 4 year.

Bonus Question:

Personally I don't feel that a CC stint will hurt you. All that matters is if your grades are competitive and your MCAT is high. I went to a CC for 2 years and attended 2 other Universities. Just make sure your CC grades, especially, are high.
As far as the RN question: I don't see a downside to it. Getting patient care hours is definitely helpful to getting in to medical school. But don't let becoming an RN sidetrack you and hurt your pre-req grades.
Good Luck! :thumbup: