Community College?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member05193

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm thinking about taking Physics I & II at a community college, but I was wondering if this would hurt my application. I have also taken Calc II at a community college and senior year of high school I took English 101/102 for dual enrollment. Do youM think this will make a difference?

I have a 3.83 cGPA and a 3.71 sGPA

Members don't see this ad.

It would be inadvisable, at the very least, take it at a state/city university. Ideally, you would be taking your 'hard' classes at your home institution so that it doesn't look like you are trying to take the easy way out.

Nobody is going to give a damn over physics at a community college when your GPA is that high and you've made it through organic chemistry. Anyone who tells you to the contrary doesn't have any idea how this game works, unless they are talking about schools that don't accept any community college units at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt it would matter if you have a good amount of sciences at your home Univ. and you get a strong MCAT

What if I tried taking it at my university over the summer but I got a really good lab position instead so I dropped a day too late and received a W. That doesn't help my case does it? I feel like taking physics at a CC isn't as bad as taking some of the other Chem/Bio requirements.

What if I tried taking it at my university over the summer but I got a really good lab position instead so I dropped a day too late and received a W. That doesn't help my case does it? I feel like taking physics at a CC isn't as bad as taking some of the other Chem/Bio requirements.
Take them where you can. A strong MCAT will carry more weight than where you took a couple of pre-reqs. A bad MCAT will not be forgiven because of uni pre reqs.