Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MeghanMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all I'm graduating from a great private college with a major in marketing and minor in biology and psychology. I would like to do an MD/MBA program in the future. I was very fortunate to get into this school and have parents who could pay for it without loans or scholarships. I need to take med school pre-reqs after I graduate and I was wondering if I could take them at a community college because I just don't want to make my parents pay for another year of undergrad at my school and there is no way I could afford it myself.

They said if I got into med school we could figure out something to pay but would community college be okay- especially after an undergrad degree from a great school?

Sorry for all the questions in the past few days, I guess I have a lot to learn

Members don't see this ad.

Quite a few top tiers do not accept community college credits. Check with the schools you find of interest. In general, you should do your pre-reqs at a 4yr university.

What courses are you looking to take? It should be fine really

Members don't see this ad :)
9 times out of 10....if you take your pre-reqs at a community college after graduating from a four year university you run the risk of the rigor of your classes being questioned.

You went to a four year....you're expected to make As in any class you take at a community college after completing your education at that four year. Some schools may not care, however, I've been told that after you go to a four year then you should do your pre-reqs at a four year as well.

You could consider working for a few years to save up some money and then completing a post-bac. I mean, earning your way through school is not unheard of. Furthermore, med school applicants often benefit from a few years off to gain some perspective, maturity, extracurriculars.

You can; you're a non-trad now. Keep in mind that not all schools accept credits from CCs. MSAR Online is your friend.

Hi all I'm graduating from a great private college with a major in marketing and minor in biology and psychology. I would like to do an MD/MBA program in the future. I was very fortunate to get into this school and have parents who could pay for it without loans or scholarships. I need to take med school pre-reqs after I graduate and I was wondering if I could take them at a community college because I just don't want to make my parents pay for another year of undergrad at my school and there is no way I could afford it myself.

They said if I got into med school we could figure out something to pay but would community college be okay- especially after an undergrad degree from a great school?

Sorry for all the questions in the past few days, I guess I have a lot to learn