Community College?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arijos0222

"The Opportune Moment"
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do DPM schools look down upon Community College---> State Research University transfers?

I want to go to Community college and transfer to Rutgers, but I don't know if any DPM schools would look down upon me?

I want to major in either Biomedical Engineering or Psychology at Rutgers after I transfer there, and go to (preferably) NYCPM

Members don't see this ad.

Do DPM schools look down upon Community College---> State Research University transfers?

I want to go to Community college and transfer to Rutgers, but I don't know if any DPM schools would look down upon me?

I want to major in either Biomedical Engineering or Psychology at Rutgers after I transfer there, and go to (preferably) NYCPM

I did all of my generals at CC along with some prereqs at a CC and transfered to a 4 year school to save money. No issues at all with getting accepted anywhere.

I did all of my generals at CC along with some prereqs at a CC and transfered to a 4 year school to save money. No issues at all with getting accepted anywhere.

What did you major in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally fine. Part of me wishes I had done the same instead of going into a 4-year straight out of high school. Would have saved some serious cash.

Did the same thing as snowman and same major, and got accepted everywhere I applied. Just make good grades and rock the MCAT and they won't care where you went.

Did the same thing as snowman and same major, and got accepted everywhere I applied. Just make good grades and rock the MCAT and they won't care where you went.

And what was your GPA?

Least 1/2 my pre-reqs where done at CC, with no issue. I am a Chem major.

From what I have heard Podiatry, DO, and PA schools are all 3 in which don't care about Community College credits.
As someone who has students in my high NatSci classes in which I was competing with who have a good 30 credits from Community College it does actually frustrate me. One of my friends took an Anatomy class at the local CC school in Lansing and his class was a complete joke where all he did was study for AT MOST 2hrs the night before to get a 4.0 in the anatomy class...and he is a sub 3.0 student at MSU.
I understand that some classes are different and some CC schools have difficult classes, but near me I have tons of people I am competing with who spend their first 2 semesters joking around at a CC school and easily 4.0 all their classes and then transfer over for their Sophomore yr.

Personally, I do hate that nearly all pre-professional schools (except MD school) really don't care if someone has 60 of their 120 credits at a CC school. Maybe that is b/c I know tons of friends who have aced their CC school classes but are still 2.8 to 3.1 students at MSU. So they graduate with a 3.45 cGPA yet their last 2yrs they were 3.1 at best at MSU b/c their CC courses inflate their GPA upwards in their favor.

Maybe other people on here that have taken EVERY course through a university understand my feelings on how some look at that these schools don't care if you got half your credits at a community college. My pre-professional advisor straight up told me that no PA or PT schools care if you graduated from the University of Michigan vs. 2yr of Lansing Community college then 2yrs at Eastern Michigan as long as you have a competitive GPA and patient care hours. Maybe it is just me!

From what I have heard Podiatry, DO, and PA schools are all 3 in which don't care about Community College credits.
As someone who has students in my high NatSci classes in which I was competing with who have a good 30 credits from Community College it does actually frustrate me. One of my friends took an Anatomy class at the local CC school in Lansing and his class was a complete joke where all he did was study for AT MOST 2hrs the night before to get a 4.0 in the anatomy class...and he is a sub 3.0 student at MSU.
I understand that some classes are different and some CC schools have difficult classes, but near me I have tons of people I am competing with who spend their first 2 semesters joking around at a CC school and easily 4.0 all their classes and then transfer over for their Sophomore yr.

Personally, I do hate that nearly all pre-professional schools (except MD school) really don't care if someone has 60 of their 120 credits at a CC school. Maybe that is b/c I know tons of friends who have aced their CC school classes but are still 2.8 to 3.1 students at MSU. So they graduate with a 3.45 cGPA yet their last 2yrs they were 3.1 at best at MSU b/c their CC courses inflate their GPA upwards in their favor.

Maybe other people on here that have taken EVERY course through a university understand my feelings on how some look at that these schools don't care if you got half your credits at a community college. My pre-professional advisor straight up told me that no PA or PT schools care if you graduated from the University of Michigan vs. 2yr of Lansing Community college then 2yrs at Eastern Michigan as long as you have a competitive GPA and patient care hours. Maybe it is just me!

Well I guess you can sit back and relax through pod school with your vastly superior education while us *****s from a cc struggle mightily!

Not everybody can afford, is emotionally ready for, or is able to attend a 4 year university. Why should that be held against them? I attended a 4 year university, and hold no resentment towards those who attended community college. I'm no better than they are, and my CC peers and I both worked hard to get where we are. If you want to beat out that kid whose GPA balanced out to a 3.1 with MSU and CC classes....get a 3.2 at MSU. There are inherent inconsistencies when comparing GPAs between different schools...this will exist regardless of 4 yr. vs. CC. Best thing to do is work hard, ignore others, and just strive to do the best you can...it'll get you much farther than resenting others.

I remember when my class first started, and everyone was asking schools, GPAs, MCATs trying to get a feel for our classmates. After an exam cycle or two, nobody gave a crap about undergrad, only how you perform here. If you want to build yourself up by thinking "oh, I'm more prepared than other students", it'd be best if you reserve judgment until you start school to judge classmates who have taken perhaps a nontraditional route (you might be surprised at whom the top students at each school are). Pod school is a completely different animal. I believe one of the posters on the site attributed it to trying to drink water from a fire hydrant. Whether they "breezed" through CC or struggled through a 4 year undergrad, everyone who is accepted and goes to Pod school has a fresh start. Make the most of it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
pod school will show you where you stand, not your undergraduate background. It's silly to undermine students who have a higher GPA than you based on prior CC credit. It saves a ton of money and the base knowledge should be there regardless (edit: I attended a 4 year university). Let's face it, pod/MD/DO schools are a whole different ball game, so you can only prepare so much in undergrad. BTW there are both MD and DO schools that limit or not accept CC and AP credit.

This is just an observation from what I've noticed in my class.

Students who went to very strong undergrads (T30 national universities and T20 liberal arts schools) are mostly ranked in the top 1/3 of the class. There are also many students who went to city colleges or "no-name" schools that are also in the top 1/3 of the class.

However when you look at the bottom of the class, not many people from top undergrads are there and there are a lot of people from "no-name" schools.

My advice would be to forget about undergrad and do well in pod school. No one cares about how amazing/prestigious your undergrad institution was if you're at the bottom of your class in pod school. The cream will always rise to the top, regardless of the route they took to get there.

Well I guess you can sit back and relax through pod school with your vastly superior education while us *****s from a cc struggle mightily!

Well you completely missed the point I was saying. Not saying you are an idiot for going to CC school. Learn to read thoroughly! It isn't b/c you are poor or stupid since you go to Community College. Friends of mine going into DO school hate this as well. They personally agree with my statement b/c it is similar to their belief. Kids at MSU's DO school get accepted with a 3.60 GPA range despite their MSU credits are less than a 3.3, while my friends who have 120+ credits with a 3.55 to 3.60 GPA range get wait listed.

Just trying to state what I have been told by advisors and past students that it doesn't matter to pre-professional schools WHERE you graduated from or WHERE you got your credits from. Like I said previously, maybe in my area they just put less of an emphasis on difficulty in the CC schools (since Lansing and Oakland CC are two of the largest CC schools in the midwest from what I have been told) compared to the state universities. I am not knocking you personally down for attending a CC school, but after all the talks I have had with pre-professional advisors they all agree the smartest thing to do is take credits at CC schools to boost your GPA to inflate your GPA much higher. Not saying you are dumb or poor for going to CC school, but I personally do believe that if you have half your credits from CC and half from a University it shouldn't be considered equal to someone who has ALL credits from a University. Like I stated, advisors have said that is not the case where many professional schools don't care the WHERE just the #

Last edited:

:laugh:

I can't agree more, I hate people who bash CC students. I feel like uni students/adcoms believe that the only thing CC students learn is how to color or something.

Begs the question, why didn't you follow the same route if you're so mad about the CC students? If a graduate program is very loose on class regulations, it would be a financially naive decision to attend a full 4-year university, not to mention a poor GPA decision, right? I went to a 4-year university with the pre-med mindset reason, and BTW there are classes that are very demanding in some CC's...

Because I would rather have more difficulty. Like I said, friends I know that have taken the CC school courses in the Nat Sci courses they all said their classes were a complete joke compared to theirs at MSU.

I have my opinion and you all have your opinion on CC college. On a side note, I am not ripping on people who took 10 summer credits of CC courses. And like I said, everyone has their own opinion! If you don't like my opinion on what I have heard from my friends who have taken 30+ cred at CC schools then you don't like my opinion and I don't care. I really don't!!

I had a friend who went to a community college his first 2yrs and got above a 3.8 GPA with 60+ CC credits, transferred over to UM-Ann Arbor and is now getting well below a 3.0 GPA (I think he told me ~2.7 at UM) in his 4 semesters at UM. It is smart for him b/c there was no way he was getting accepted into UM out of HS, so he found the next best way to graduate with a Bachelor's Degree from one of the top public universities in the nation by not spending as much money and easier to get accepted into Grad school.

Your opinion is yours, and mine is mine. Just what I have learned in 4yrs of talking with students who have transferred like this.

Because I would rather have more difficulty. Like I said, friends I know that have taken the CC school courses in the Nat Sci courses they all said their classes were a complete joke compared to theirs at MSU.

I have my opinion and you all have your opinion on CC college. On a side note, I am not ripping on people who took 10 summer credits of CC courses. And like I said, everyone has their own opinion! If you don't like my opinion on what I have heard from my friends who have taken 30+ cred at CC schools then you don't like my opinion and I don't care. I really don't!!

I had a friend who went to a community college his first 2yrs and got above a 3.8 GPA with 60+ CC credits, transferred over to UM-Ann Arbor and is now getting well below a 3.0 GPA (I think he told me ~2.7 at UM) in his 4 semesters at UM. It is smart for him b/c there was no way he was getting accepted into UM out of HS, so he found the next best way to graduate with a Bachelor's Degree from one of the top public universities in the nation by not spending as much money and easier to get accepted into Grad school.

Your opinion is yours, and mine is mine. Just what I have learned in 4yrs of talking with students who have transferred like this.

Your previous post borders on unwarranted condescension, and this one reeks of jealousy. There are probably people from MIT, or other notorious grade-deflation schools who feel the same way about a school like MSU. Those students who are weak will be weeded out in the graduate school process- if not before admissions, they will be excluded during the program. Your best bet is to deal with it, and put your blinders on. And by the way, how do you suggest each program be weighted? You're asking the admissions committee to base their decision off of school ranking? That seems like a risky move since college rankings are known to be unreliable at best.

That being said, how are you going to feel when you see a colleague walk into their parent's practice while you struggle to make ends meet at first? Will you harbor the same resentment and jealousy? I hope not; for your sake, and for those around you. You're setting yourself up to be miserable in your professional life. Each person comes equipped with their own baggage, take it for what it is, appreciate it, and move on. The only person it will hurt is yourself. A few of your previous posts have hinted at resentment towards other people like the "...Human Bio major students I know slack off and still get a 3.40 cGPA b/c they have a total of ONE 400+ level class they have to take and that is the simple BioChem class where you can study just the day before and get a 3.0 in the class, while my class you have to study for two weeks just to be lucky to get a 2.0 in the class." Don't make excuses, work harder, and you'll be better for it. Good luck.

Your previous post borders on unwarranted condescension, and this one reeks of jealousy. There are probably people from MIT, or other notorious grade-deflation schools who feel the same way about a school like MSU. Those students who are weak will be weeded out in the graduate school process- if not before admissions, they will be excluded during the program. Your best bet is to deal with it, and put your blinders on. And by the way, how do you suggest each program be weighted? You're asking the admissions committee to base their decision off of school ranking? That seems like a risky move since college rankings are known to be unreliable at best.

That being said, how are you going to feel when you see a colleague walk into their parent's practice while you struggle to make ends meet at first? Will you harbor the same resentment and jealousy? I hope not; for your sake, and for those around you. You're setting yourself up to be miserable in your professional life. Each person comes equipped with their own baggage, take it for what it is, appreciate it, and move on. The only person it will hurt is yourself. A few of your previous posts have hinted at resentment towards other people like the "...Human Bio major students I know slack off and still get a 3.40 cGPA b/c they have a total of ONE 400+ level class they have to take and that is the simple BioChem class where you can study just the day before and get a 3.0 in the class, while my class you have to study for two weeks just to be lucky to get a 2.0 in the class." Don't make excuses, work harder, and you'll be better for it. Good luck.

+1 :thumbup:

Agreed. Its a self-centered stage that we all have experienced as kids, and it goes away with age and wisdom. Not condescending to OP, but the post does reek of jealousy. As an aside, what makes 10 CC units satisfactory in your book, but 30 units not? Completely subjective thought process, the entire post.

Well you completely missed the point I was saying. Not saying you are an idiot for going to CC school. Learn to read thoroughly! It isn't b/c you are poor or stupid since you go to Community College. Friends of mine going into DO school hate this as well. They personally agree with my statement b/c it is similar to their belief. Kids at MSU's DO school get accepted with a 3.60 GPA range despite their MSU credits are less than a 3.3, while my friends who have 120+ credits with a 3.55 to 3.60 GPA range get wait listed.

Just trying to state what I have been told by advisors and past students that it doesn't matter to pre-professional schools WHERE you graduated from or WHERE you got your credits from. Like I said previously, maybe in my area they just put less of an emphasis on difficulty in the CC schools (since Lansing and Oakland CC are two of the largest CC schools in the midwest from what I have been told) compared to the state universities. I am not knocking you personally down for attending a CC school, but after all the talks I have had with pre-professional advisors they all agree the smartest thing to do is take credits at CC schools to boost your GPA to inflate your GPA much higher. Not saying you are dumb or poor for going to CC school, but I personally do believe that if you have half your credits from CC and half from a University it shouldn't be considered equal to someone who has ALL credits from a University. Like I stated, advisors have said that is not the case where many professional schools don't care the WHERE just the #

You constantly make the point to tell us all that your degree is the hardest degree possible at your school. It seems that you know how the GPA number game works, and you chose to have a more rigorous education without having the foresight of what it might do to your GPA and future admissions into DO or pod school programs. Nothing is wrong with wanting more difficult classes. You made your bed, now sleep in it.

I am having to do all of my classes at a CC due to finances and being on my own.

Anyway I spoke with an adviser at Kent and he told me that the admissions committee will not look down at all on community college as long as it is accredited.

Hope that helps!

You constantly make the point to tell us all that your degree is the hardest degree possible at your school. It seems that you know how the GPA number game works, and you chose to have a more rigorous education without having the foresight of what it might do to your GPA and future admissions into DO or pod school programs. Nothing is wrong with wanting more difficult classes. You made your bed, now sleep in it.

Yeah and I agree with the last two sentences which is what I have done. I deal with it! I could have taken the easy route, but I didn't. Thanks for your opinion

X2

And constantly making MSU out to be the end-all-be-all of ugrad institutions. It's pretty ridiculous. Has that top rate MSU-hardest-major gotten him into pod school yet? There are plenty of students that get in each year from no-name liberal arts schools with only 2000 students as well. At the end of the day, adcoms don't care as long as the numbers look good.

And FWIW, my gpa has gone UP since transferring from CC to my 4 year school.

And Hughes, do you say community college college (CC college) in real life? Lol

X2

And constantly making MSU out to be the end-all-be-all of ugrad institutions. It's pretty ridiculous. Has that top rate MSU-hardest-major gotten him into pod school yet? There are plenty of students that get in each year from no-name liberal arts schools with only 2000 students as well. At the end of the day, adcoms don't care as long as the numbers look good.

And FWIW, my gpa has gone UP since transferring from CC to my 4 year school.

And Hughes, do you say community college college (CC college) in real life? Lol

First, I am not saying MSU itself is elite in all majors, but my major in my college inside MSU is actually thought of as more challenging than graduating from UM-Ann Arbor by nearly all doctors I know in the SE Michigan area. Some majors at MSU are more challenging than others and some are not. I am not ever saying I am smarter than anyone else. Never once did I say something like that.
The part that is in bold is what I mean, the smartest move is go to a community college because your GPA will most likely get boosted.
And like I said, I was using basic stats from friends I do personally know that HAVE lowered their GPA since coming to a 4yr university.
And I do say "community college" but I am just using CC b/c it is quicker if I have to keep repeating "community college" every sentence it is tedious and annoying.

I understand some liberal schools are difficult as well, not saying they aren't. I am straight to the point and speak what I feel not what is considered nice to the users when I am giving my 2 cents about community college credits. I have no problem if you took community college credits, but I am saying I wish the pre-professional schools did take more into their considerations. I guarantee there are a good 100 schools that overall are more prestigious than MSU, but I know there are not 100 Natural Science colleges at universities better than Lyman Briggs, which is what I am saying when I am giving MSU a good name. I will take offense if you rip on my school. Just the kind of person I am!

No more comments from me on this topic because I really don't wanna piss you off anymore since you really aren't understanding the point I was making. Some of the comments above are making it out to sound like I hate every person who gets a years worth of community college credits, which is not true. I just don't like that I know people who have been turned down by a pre-professional school over a friend/other student who has nearly the similar stats just a .05 GPA higher yet the person who has 120 cred of 4yr univ vs. half and half community college and 4yr univ (each went to the same school, I think there are 6 or 7 ppl I know where this has happened at a DO school).

NO MORE COMMENTS from me on this topic. Sorry if my words pissed you off because I was speaking what my beliefs are.