Community program vs University program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zback

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are some old threads out there on this, I just wanted to get some more perspectives. What is your personal opinion on which is better and why?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a very vague question. You're likely to get more responses if you frame it more like "I read this post and that post this other one about community vs university programs, and I'm still wondering about this particular point." Or "This is what I'm hoping to do in the future / looking for in a residency program. Which type of training do you think might be a better fit for me?" Good luck.

This is a very vague question. You're likely to get more responses if you frame it more like "I read this post and that post this other one about community vs university programs, and I'm still wondering about this particular point." Or "This is what I'm hoping to do in the future / looking for in a residency program. Which type of training do you think might be a better fit for me?" Good luck.

I guess my real question is which program will prepare me for rural practice (clinic, inpatient, and ED) the best, the community (unopposed) program or university (opposed) program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess my real question is which program will prepare me for rural practice (clinic, inpatient, and ED) the best, the community (unopposed) program or university (opposed) program?
In community programs FM is usually the only residency program, as a result you will have access to all the patients and their illnesses . In a university program is only what is left over by the other specialties...What do you think?

Go Unopposed community. The FP residents at my opposed community shop do almost no inpt medicine and have absent skills in managing the sick inpatient. If you want to be a good all around clinician who can manage Inpt, outpt, Ed, urgent care, OB, Peds, etc etc, go Unopposed community. I am biased as an internist but this is my experience.

Go Unopposed community. The FP residents at my opposed community shop do almost no inpt medicine and have absent skills in managing the sick inpatient. If you want to be a good all around clinician who can manage Inpt, outpt, Ed, urgent care, OB, Peds, etc etc, go Unopposed community. I am biased as an internist but this is my experience.

Agree with this comment -- try to find a rural unopposed community program -- There's a few here in Texas that do a super job at preparing people --

shameless plug:

Tyler Family Medicine -- The program director is an FM stud, real nice guy, great program - unopposed with full support of the hospital. Tyler is a small town and the schools aren't the best but there are plenty of private schools around with scholarships available if that's a concern. I didn't know that when making out my match list - that they had scholarships -- otherwise, I would have ranked them #1 -- my kids were well plugged into our current school system at an age where transitions would have been difficult enough. If I recall correctly, during hurricane Katrina or Sandy, the PD took the residency to a skeleton crew, deployed the rest of the residents to the affected area with bags of supplies and they set up shop in a tent and started treating people - definite FM stud in my book.

Waco Family Medicine - Same type deal as Tyler, well known to be one of the top 3 rural programs in Texas with really good people. Got some classmates there now and they love it.

Conroe Family Medicine - Same deal - PD is an old-line DO who still does manipulation, dual accredited program -- he practices what he preaches with dietary and exercise habits -- He's a no BS kinda guy who can teach/do everything he asks his residents to do and do it with ease. Nice program but the area can be kinda pricey in some spots and dirt poor in others -- Conroe is also bisected by I45 which makes getting around a little klunky.

Christus Santa Rosa - in San Antonio - really sweet unopposed community - heard they moved to the 'burbs but still a good training program, although likely not as rural as the other 3. Good place where residents are treated decently and everyone seems to get along.

Anyway, your mileage may vary and this advice is worth what you pay for it -- no warranties expressed or implied.