community service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilmisssunshine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a first year med student...well just finished through the first year, and feel really insignificant because I took me such a long time to adjust to med school that I didn't do any community service this entire year. I'm sort of feeling bad about it. So, I was wondering...

is anyone else in my situation? is it common not participating in community service activities once in med school? not only am I feeling guilty...but I am also wondering....does the residency application ask what service activities I have done in my 4 years in med school..or did that all end in college?

thanx in advance :]

Members don't see this ad.

i don't understand why med students feel obligated to do community service when they have so little time. my uninformed opinion is that it's like applying to medical school - either you are a top performer, or you do 10,000 hours of community service. you can't do everything.

Residencies will not care one bit about your community service record. I did a little volunteering throughout the year, but it was clinically relevant/useful. I certainly wasn't feeling guilty or encumbered by any sense of duty beyond becoming a better doctor.

Agree with the above. Do it because you like it; don't expect it to help you out when it comes residency time.

Don't feel guilty though - first year can be a huge adjustment, no one can blame you for not having enough time.