Commuting in Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eaglesfan1392

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to be successful in Pharmacy School if I have to commute from an hour away? I am trying to save some money and am considering all my options. I also have 2 main questions:

1. About how much time outside of class do Pharmacy students spend studying?

2. Would commuting that kind of distance cause such a headache that it would be difficult to maintain solid grades?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any way to be successful in Pharmacy School if I have to commute from an hour away? I am trying to save some money and am considering all my options. I also have 2 main questions:

2. Would commuting that kind of distance cause such a headache that it would be difficult to maintain solid grades?

Thanks in advance!

Yes.

1. A lot if you're going for top grades.

2. Depends on your route. Lots of traffic? What's parking like?

I have a classmate that commutes one hour each way. She is doing just fine grade wise. She does not do many ECs, though. But, saving money is a good thing IMO.

how much money will you spend on commuting?

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks in advance!

spend 1.5-2 hrs per lecture hour studying, yes that commute gets old fast. if its free transit not too bad, but if in your car look at gas/maint costs.

if it's public transit (train or whatever) I think it's fine. In residency I would get 1-2 articles read each way.

Driving? blah.

Thanks in advance!

1. How much time I spend studying depends on whether I have exams or not. If I have exams then I'll spend several hours a day studying. If no exams 1 or 2 hours just browsing over my notes.

2. No. I commute an hour to and from school and I'm doing pretty well in school. A friend of mine who also commutes about an hour to and from school is doing very well. Something to keep in mind is that neither of us has a job and are just P1's atm.