Commuting to PT School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MuscleHead

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to submit a deposit for Widener University by next week. My main concern over this school is the location. My initial plan was to spend at least the first year at home to save money. I still want to do this, but it would require a 45 minute drive each day, each way. As rigorous as PT school is, I dont want to be driving home 1:00 am because I had to spend the entire evening in the anatomy lab.

So I guess my question is 2-fold:

1. About how much time outside of class do PT students spend studying?

2. Would commuting that kind of distance cause such a headache that it would be difficult to maintain solid grades?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Very doable. Many commute to my PT school...some as far away as 1.5 hours each way (3 hrs total driving). If it is possible to take public transportation, I would strongly advise that...atleast that way you can relax.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know exactly what the set up is but Widener's Anatomy lab's are held 30 min away from Campus in Bala Cynwd at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM.) Maybe that would be closer for you?

I've heard from students who attend schools where the lab is off site and between the labs and 31 weeks of clinical experience you may find yourself driving a lot even if you live on campus!

I think that 45 min is doable. I think that is what it would be if I commuted to Widener (still no word from them yet) and if it came down to it I would make it work! It seems like a lot of PT students I've talked to commute 30 minutes or more.

45 mins one way is not that bad at all. There are many people who commute 1-1.5 hours each way and get through school fine.

It all depends on how you use your time. I have one friend who has a 1.5 commute(3 hr total) 5 days a week. He records lectures of all his classes and plays them in his car during his commutes. To put it in perspective thats 3 hours of review each day, on top of all your classes.

Said it really cut down on the amount of studying he had to do when exams were close.

You can either do something like that or waste your commute listening to music or talking on a bluetooth.

I just started PT school and I commute 30 miles (about 30-50 mins depending on traffic). It's not bad so far... luckily there are some others who live close to me so I have a carpool of 4- that cuts gas prices way down! I would prefer to live closer, but it's not too bad. When school starts, see where your classmates live, there will likely be someone you can carpool with.