Commuting..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MexicanDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking at commuting to my University for the first time. I used to live in the same city as where school is at, but for several reasons I have moved to a different city.

The commute itself is around 45-50 minutes, but I would need 10-15 minutes to find parking and get to class..So I am looking around an hour to get to school.

How many of you commute and how long is the time/distance?

The thing that kind of stinks is that I got class MWF at 8am, and I still have to go M-F... Damn it!

Members don't see this ad.

I am looking at commuting to my University for the first time. I used to live in the same city as where school is at, but for several reasons I have moved to a different city.

The commute itself is around 45-50 minutes, but I would need 10-15 minutes to find parking and get to class..So I am looking around an hour to get to school.

The thing that kind of stinks is that I got class MWF at 8am, and I still have to go M-F... Damn it!

I used to commute 1.5 - 2 hours each way when I was in undergrad.

Come August, I'll be commuting 30-40 minutes each way to medical school. Not really a big deal.

i commuted about 2 hours, but it was by bus, which is a totally different story. your commute sounds kind of stressful, especially the looking for parking part.

Members don't see this ad :)

Come August, I'll be commuting 30-40 minutes each way to medical school. Not really a big deal.

uhhh... yeah 3-4 hours a day of commuting is a big deal.

Yes commuting 2 hours a day is a HUGE deal IMO. It gets old real fast and u'll feel it. It should probably affect every part of your life.

uhhh... yeah 3-4 hours a day of commuting is a big deal.

Yes commuting 2 hours a day is a HUGE deal IMO. It gets old real fast and u'll feel it. It should probably affect every part of your life.

So you're telling me I WILL feel it and it WILL get old, even though I did it already for 4 years? Okay, boss.

I don't know how you managed. Did you actually drive or use the metro? I'm actually deciding what i'll be doing in the next year because its a hour+ a day on a metro. It's not a big deal its just at my place leaving the campus after 5 is extremely unsafe.

I don't know how you managed. Did you actually drive or use the metro? I'm actually deciding what i'll be doing in the next year because its a hour+ a day on a metro. It's not a big deal its just at my place leaving the campus after 5 is extremely unsafe.

That was via bus/subway. I did get a car in the end to cut the commute short, but it didn't make a huge difference, imho. Being on the bus/train was so boring that I was kind of forced to study, so it wasn't a totally bad thing.

I commuted my last year of undergrad (ironically .. I was taking a reduced load due to MCAT prep classes, and it didn't make sense to live near campus when I had class only twice a week) .. it wasn't bad, but I was able to take BART (local train) back and forth from campus, so that made it easier than if I'd driven. I think it's totally doable, since you're looking at an hr each way too .. you just have to be prepared to get ready for class an hour early (instead of 5 min early ;) )

Right now I'm commuting everyday to my university for summer classes (starting with an 8 AM class) and, in the morning, my commute time is pretty similar to what you'll be doing -- 45 minutes to get there, and another 10 or so for parking. It's definitely doable, but it probably will get old. Just find some good music and you'll get used to it.

I do find it kind of stressful having such an early class with a longer commute time, though. It's worth it to leave extra early just so you aren't stressing about getting to class on time.

That was via bus/subway. I did get a car in the end to cut the commute short, but it didn't make a huge difference, imho. Being on the bus/train was so boring that I was kind of forced to study, so it wasn't a totally bad thing.

I don't know call me a paranoid nut. But I get the feeling I'd be attacked on the subway or if I leave the campus when its dark.

I don't know call me a paranoid nut. But I get the feeling I'd be attacked on the subway or if I leave the campus when its dark.

I was commuting to one of the worst neighborhoods in New York City via public transportation and I never had any problems.

You guys are making me feel so much better.

During undergrad, I was commuting an hour each way and taking 20 minutes for parking. The medical schools that are instate to me, the farthest is a little over a 2 hour each way drive.

I just moved this summer and I was commuting before, about 40 mins each way. But the scenery was beautiful and the drive was nice and there was little to no traffic between my house and college. Personally I find driving relaxing and I'm going to miss the commute - but if I were enduring a 40 minute subway ride twice a day, I'd hate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel that its gonna get old pretty soon wasting 2+ hrs of my day just on the road... oh well..

Long commutes suck. I had to ride the bus to and from work before I moved, and commuting each way took about 1.5 hours. It sounds easy but then eventually you start getting pissed off that you are wasting so much time in your car! But, it is definitely doable if you're willing to plan your days around the fact that you have to commute. It's too bad you can't ride the bus, because then you can just sit like a zombie/listen to music while someone else does the driving. Honestly it should be against the law to have me in the driver's seat of a vehicle before 9 AM.

Just throwing this out there... Perhaps you could use that extra commute time to listen to audio recordings of lectures? It might save you an hour or two of studying each day... And if you're on a bus, you can use your laptop to take notes.

Maybe I'm way off base here, but it's something I'm considering when I get in somewhere.

i am a sophomore now, and so far i have been commuting. I want to dorm but money problems, i wasnt able to afford a car either so i have to live with the bus.
But my situation is a bit weird, so my bus that goes to newark (i go to RU-NWK) doesnt stop in my town so i have to catch it from another town, that is 15-20 mins away from me, so i have to be dropped off their and then picked up. THe bus ride takes about an 1 hour 10-15 mins one way, so about 2 hours 20mins daily on the bus. then the time it takes to walk to the bus stop or get to penn, and from their i have to wait to be picked up, waiting to be picked up is almost on of the worst parts, i get picked up when ever my dad can, so yea i have waited about an hour some times to get picked up or 45mins mins on average.

I commute about 20 minutes to a commuter type school. Parking is horrific, but at my uni the parking is beautiful for 8 a.m. classes. So I try to take 8 a.m. classes, if not I have to get to school about 20 minutes before class in order to find parking and walk.

I went to a large state school for undergrad and always lived within a few miles of campus, but it was not out of the ordinary to drive around at least 30-45min looking for parking. I definitely missed several classes just because I could not park anywhere. At the least I would hope for a spot just outside campus and then spend 15-20min catching the bus around campus.

You guys are making me feel so much better.

During undergrad, I was commuting an hour each way and taking 20 minutes for parking. The medical schools that are instate to me, the farthest is a little over a 2 hour each way drive.

haha same here, I used to commute 1 hr each way as well and I realized quickly to just park in the back and walk to class instead of spending 10mins looking for a parking spot. Got in a quick exercise and never forgot where I parked again ;)

MexicanDr remember to leave a little early about 30mins just in case there's traffic or accidents etc y buena suerte con 8am classes

I feel that its gonna get old pretty soon wasting 2+ hrs of my day just on the road... oh well..
Oh it does get old....and fast.

Last 2 semesters ( and this summer semester) I commuted an hour each way. I also commuted an hour each way to both of my jobs( i lived in the middle of everything). By moving next to my school at the end of the month I will be saving 13 hours a week and about $400 a month in gas. Hey there's my rent!

Thanks guys..

Any of you had 8am classes and still had to commute more than 45 minutes? What time were you waking up/how many times a week??

Ahhh, this sucks already! lol =D

I have always had to commute 1.5-2 hours to school.. I guess because I usually live in the middle of nowhere lol. Right now the commute is 2 hours - 2 hours 15 minutes and I prefer early morning classes. I am a morning person plus it gives me the chance to work evenings at my job.

I leave my house at 5:45am so that means I have to get up around 3-330ish. This is mainly because I have long hair that I insist on curling every morning lol. Also shower + makeup + putting contacts in + feeding/ entertaining dog + other getting ready things. If you are a guy, then you won't have some of those issues :)

It's really not that bad, but I'm pretty used to it. I've had to commute on and off for the past 8 years when I was sent to fix other stores for work. Any more than 2.5 hours is annoying though. :) Also, burn lots of good CDs. Good luck with your commuting!

I forgot to mention, before I transferred schools, I commuted 5 days a week. Now, I commute four days for school, but the hospital I volunteer at is across the street so I have to commute the same amount of time for that. Work = 5 minute commute from my house though :)