Compensation across the country

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

james11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A doctor I was talking to the other day was telling me that you make much more in a given specialty if you are in the Midwest (excluding Chicago) or the South than if you're on the East or West Coast.

Is this true? And is it a pretty big difference, which is what he was implying? Considering that the cost of living is so much less in the Midwest and South versus in NYC/Boston/SF etc, this seems like a tremendous factor. It seems too good to be true. Is it really competitive to become an attending in the Midwest?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends. Generally the less desirable the location, the higher the pay because, well....they need you. Converse applies for attractive locations, regardless of urban/rural.

Yes, the difference is quite significant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psychiatry has some of the more extreme pay differences between urban and rural, but If you looked at a map of what places were offering me, it looked like an archery target, but with the lowest pay in the downtown bulls-eye and the highest on the 'wow you can't aim for ****" parts of the map.

Reactions: 1 user
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/01/physician-salaries/384846/

I'm not too sure on how reliable Atlantic is, but it does give a good general idea.

I know that the Doximity-based map in that article probably isn't too scientific, but I can believe it when I see that spot of bright red over Traverse City, MI. I have a friend from college in Rad-Onc who's mulling a job up there where the 'pay to hours worked' ratio is in the "holy ****!" range even for his specialty. I suppose when you're as rural and wealthy as that area is, you can make offers like that.

I recall seeing an job ad for an EM position where you would be making >350k a year, but were living in BFnowhere Mississippi. You could be one of the wealthiest people in the county making that kind of money there...Then again being rich is way less fun when you're living in rural Mississippi, though...

As an anecdote when my family relocated from rural Northwest to the East Coast, both my parents saw their pay halved.

I know that the Doximity-based map in that article probably isn't too scientific, but I can believe it when I see that spot of bright red over Traverse City, MI. I have a friend from college in Rad-Onc who's mulling a job up there where the 'pay to hours worked' ratio is in the "holy ****!" range even for his specialty. I suppose when you're as rural and wealthy as that area is, you can make offers like that.

curious, What pay to hour worked ratio is considered "holy ****"?

Holy crap orthopedics AVERAGES $420,000 a year... I'd call that "Holy ****"

Keep in mind it's not just those regions, it's being rural where you make a lot more. Almost all large metro areas are oversaturated with all physician specialties. So, while you might make more in Atlanta or Indianapolis than you will in NYC or LA, you'll see the biggest pay increases in the more rural areas.

Reactions: 1 user