Competitive board scores for diff sites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soysauz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to add to the collection of obnoxiously obsessive posts about the boards, but I just got my score back so I had to.

People say 220+ is competitive, others say 225+ or 230+. Obviously "competitive" is different for each site. Does anyone have the inside scoop for some of the more popular programs?

- Mass General
- Wash U
- UCSF
- UCLA
- Hopkins

P.S. I understand there's more to it that scores; honors on rotations, aoa, research, LOR, rank of med school, etc... but I'm just wondering about concrete test numbers. ie...I got a 224, would applying to Gen Surg be a silly fantasy?

Members don't see this ad.

soysauz said:
Sorry to add to the collection of obnoxiously obsessive posts about the boards, but I just got my score back so I had to.

People say 220+ is competitive, others say 225+ or 230+. Obviously "competitive" is different for each site. Does anyone have the inside scoop for some of the more popular programs?

- Mass General
- Wash U
- UCSF
- UCLA
- Hopkins

P.S. I understand there's more to it that scores; honors on rotations, aoa, research, LOR, rank of med school, etc... but I'm just wondering about concrete test numbers. ie...I got a 224, would applying to Gen Surg be a silly fantasy?

You are correct--this is an obnoxious post.

You're fine. Apply away. You probably wont get interviews at those programs, but you may. If the rest of your application is strong, you'll probably match just fine. Make sure the rest of your application is in order.

There is nothing more to do now, so quit perseverating on your Step 1 score.

Sheesh.....

You just got back your score...meaning you're about to start third year? Just relax, concentrate on doing well in your rotations (especially G Surg if you're considering applying for residency in that field) and getting good grades/letters of recommendation. You're at least 14-16 months from applying for the match.

What was the mean and SD this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless the rest of your application is stellar, your board score wouldn't make you competitive for the places that you mentioned. I don't know for sure but I would venture a guess that the average step I score at MGH, Brigham, etc would be at least in the 240's or 250's.

ivan lewis said:
I don't know for sure but I would venture a guess that the average step I score at MGH, Brigham, etc would be at least in the 240's or 250's.
Interestingly enough, there was a recent article in the Archives of Surgery regarding the ABSITE scores at MGH. They weren't anything to write home about. I never studied for ABSITES, abhored basic science, had a big gap in my residency education thanks to the military, attended a very clinically-oriented residency and I still soundly beat their average at every step despite their intensive ABSITE preparation routine. I'm not bragging, I'm just using this as an example that some perceptions of what you need to go where or how well you'll do because of where you train are grossly overestimated.

I don't know much about the absite scores at mgh but my guess of the average step I scores residents at mgh is an educated one, derived from the type of scores received by people I know who interviewed at mgh.

soysauz said:

- Mass General
- Wash U
- UCSF
- UCLA
- Hopkins

Hi there,
You USMLE score might get looks at your application but you need to have more than just the that score. What are your grades in your required clerkships? Have you done any research? What do your pre-clinical grades look like? What is your Step II score? (Hopkins especially wanted early Step II scores). Are you AOA?

Go to the American College of Surgeons website and look at their information about General Surgey program descriptions. That should give you some idea of what is involved in getting into these residencies or any General Surgery residency. Also, you really need to have the support of your home General Surgery Department chair too. Sometimes a well-placed phone call can make all of the difference in getting ranked or not being ranked.

It's the whole package and not just USMLE Scores. You can also be invited for an interview and turn out to turn off everyone who comes in contact with you. In that case, you could have a 245 on USMLE Step I and still not match.

njbmd :)

ivan lewis said:
I don't know for sure but I would venture a guess that the average step I score at MGH, Brigham, etc would be at least in the 240's or 250's.

I'd agree with that. The people I know who were invited to interview at these and similar places had scores in that range plus research and/or AOA.

njbmd said:
It's the whole package and not just USMLE Scores. You can also be invited for an interview and turn out to turn off everyone who comes in contact with you. In that case, you could have a 245 on USMLE Step I and still not match.

This is very true. This almost happened to a guy at my school. Interviewed at many of the super elite programs, including three of those mentioned in the OP. He did match, but only to his last choice - a relatively podunk program (nothing wrong with that but he was real pissed off). All through interview season, he went around name dropping and boasting about all the elite big names that wanted him as if it was a sure thing. Don't be that guy. A favorable impression in person is half the battle, albeit the second half. ;)