Competitive for Ph.D. follow-up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnStrider

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking steps towards making myself as competitive as possible for a Ph.D. program. Many responders on this forum have helped me determine that my logical next step is either a research-intensive Post Bac or research-focused Masters.

Now, in the process of applying to those types of programs, what would be the best way for me to handle my lack of experience with research?

As mentioned in previous threads, my lack of research experience is the exact reason that I will be applying to these programs as an intermediate step to a Ph.D. I'm sure, though, that even these programs favor those applicants with experience in research.

How can I improve my chances of being accepted into these research-oriented programs?

Members don't see this ad.

What are your research interests? Articulating how the research that goes on there and how it will facilitate your career goals is important.

I work with children and adolescents with trauma histories. Many have PTSD, schizophrenia, and ODD diagnoses. The majority struggle with antisocial tendencies and intense aggression. As a result, I'm very interested in the onset of Personality Disorders in childhood.

Your mention of pairing the program's research focus with my own goals makes a lot of sense. I know I will be emphasizing that when it comes time to apply for the Ph.D. programs as well, so I really appreciate this insight. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work with children and adolescents with trauma histories. Many have PTSD, schizophrenia, and ODD diagnoses. The majority struggle with antisocial tendencies and intense aggression. As a result, I'm very interested in the onset of Personality Disorders in childhood.

Your mention of pairing the program's research focus with my own goals makes a lot of sense. I know I will be emphasizing that when it comes time to apply for the Ph.D. programs as well, so I really appreciate this insight. Thank you.
That is a broad concept that could lend itself to applicability at a variety of programs. Just an FYI, onset might be a poor word choice since some disorders require adulthood, predictive factors might be a better way to phrase that. Also, when you are talking about antisocial behaviors and adolescents, the diagnosis would be conduct disorder. There is already a lot of research existing that points to predicting ODD to CD to Antisocial PD so the question would be what are the questions you want answered? Also, if you are still in school, I would suggest doing your next assignment on that topic so that you have a few solid points to talk about that are grounded in the current research and also that will point to questions that still need more work. The suggestions for further research section can be an invaluable source because an expert in the field has already done some of the legwork for you!

Thank you, these are all very valuable notes and suggestions. In order to do what you recommend, I'd like to look at some of the currect research on these subjects.

Could you point me in the right direction as far as finding well-respected sources for such research? As you know, I have no experience with this, and I imagine a Google search is not the most effective method : )

Google Scholar is actually a great place to start, as you can sift through a broad swath of articles and see who is publishing what. Remember articles are often 2+ yrs behind from the researcher's work, but they'll give you an idea.