Competitive GPA for NYC/NJ area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

audilover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
abra kadabra

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know the baseline for residences in NJ/NYC maybe Philadelphia is a 3.0. But would be considered a competitve gpa for residencies in these areas?

Go to CASPR/CRIP and click where residencies are located. Each .pdf file will have minimum gpa reqirements for that program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not ask for the MIN gpa. Min GPA means that you are allowed to apply if you meet it. I was asking for what do people consider a comp GPA to shoot for. An example would be 3.3, i guess it is more of an opinion question or if anyone would know based on experience.

I apologize if i was not clear

...most clerkships require a minimum gpa. Once you get a clerkship you are more or less on even grounds. But sure, some programs look at gpa more than others.

So I'm told many of the NYC residencies are not all that high powered.

Your GPA won't help you get a residency. Doing well on clerkships, getting along with residents and attendings, staying in touch and not bombing your interview at CRIPs will make you competitive. GPA only gets your foot in the door for the clerkship.

The only times GPA MIGHT play a bigger role is when you interview at programs that don't have a clerkship or you are in the scramble.

Whoa whoa whoa!! Basically, does this mean as long as my GPA is >3.0, that's as "good" as my GPA can get?

Why am I studying so much then?!?!

You are studying so much because if you are tied with someone then GPA can be a tiebreaker. Sorry, should have included that on my previous post.

But most likely if you wow programs with your knowledge base, work ethic and personality then you will be competitive for many programs. GPAs are not equal between the schools. Residents and programs know that. Do the above and you will go far IMO.

I'll take a slightly different approach. We do look at GPA when we choose new residents, but your month as an extern can definitely overshadow that. I will say that you shouldn't be studying just to get a better grade for a tie-breaker. Like you mentioned, you can wow programs with your knowledge, which you'll get by studying. I won't care so much about a GPA if the student displays the right knowledge. And it goes beyond rote memorization, but understanding a scenario and knowing what to do, what to order, what to watch for, etc. Processing information is important. So don't just cram for the test, because you'll likely look like an idiot when you get pimped on externships.