Competitiveness for ACGME IM University Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LookingForAdvice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been brought up multiple times, but I think my situation is fairly unique and I haven't found much information when searching. I am currently a 3rd year medical student, and I took my COMLEX Level 1 and received a score of 619. However, I also took USMLE Step 1 and received a score of 216. My questions are did it hurt me taking the USMLE, since it is so much lower than my COMLEX score? Also, would I be competitive for any ACGME IM university program provided that I apply broadly and smartly? I am looking to specialize in GI, cards, or heme/onc which I realize are very competitive, so I am looking to match at any university program that has all three of these in house (I'm not picky about location or anything). I do not have any research, and my application is not very impressive otherwise. My class rank is barely in the 3rd quartile (not the bottom 25%, but close). I appreciate the advice in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I think if anything it will hurt you somewhat, but not a dealbreaker.

Many ACGME IM take comlex, and you are well above average so that woulda been ideal with just comlex. But now with your below average USMLE, program directors may raise eyebrows. They shouldn't factor it in, but they probably will.

But if you apply broad and wide, no doubt you'll land a good spot. Goodluck my friend.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the response! I was mainly worried because people say that ACGME programs won't even look at your COMLEX if you have a USMLE on file. So are you saying that you think I am competitive for IM university programs or just IM in general?

Members don't see this ad :)
You may want to look at an ACGME "communiversity" program with in house fellowships. Lutheran General is program you should consider. They take a tons of DO's and they have in-house GI/Cards/Heme-Onc fellowships.

You're Step 1 score + DO will likely filter you out of competitive university programs, however there are still strong programs out there that can help you reach your goal.

You're Step 1 score + DO will likely filter you out of competitive university programs
I would wager that if OP were a USMD student they would still likely match at a solid university IM program somewhere, even with a 216. Having a USMD really seems to pay off when a student has a marginal step 1 score...

Are all University programs (in a variety of fields) difficult for DO's to match? Or is it only some Uni programs in some fields that are difficult to match?

Yeah, that I know...but is it a general rule that getting into any unversity program is hard for DO's?

No. There are a number of University programs that for various reasons are filled with DO/IMG/FMG grads. University does not always mean better. There are some very strong community and "communiversity" programs out there.

Reactions: 4 users