Competitiveness of PA School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Siaca

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All! I am new to this website and would greatly appreciate any advice so thank you for the help in advance!

I had an extremely difficult semester where my GPA went down substantially, a 3.3 to a 2.87, but where also my resume became better. I plan on retaking the courses that I did poorly in and project that I will graduate somewhere between 3.3 - 3.4 though my goal is a 3.5 or better, so we will see. This semester I also became an EMT and I am apart of my oncampus volunteer ambulance service, an E-board member to a club that gathers medical supplies and volunteers abroad in third world countries essentially as medical assistants, and volunteered at a refugee flu clinic, became a Resident Assistant and have a mix of other various non-medical involvements. I plan on becoming a Crew Chief for the ambulance service so I will have a more influential and direct role when taking care of patients.

My question to you is with the extracurriculars that I have, and with the not so great GPA, do you think my chances of getting into PA school are too slim? If so, my backup plan would be to transfer to a 4 year RN program, work a year or two as a RN and then apply to PA school, at least if I get declined in this scenario I am not left jobless which is my biggest fear!

Thank you for your help again!

Members don't see this ad.

It's possible, depending on where you apply, but it's quite likely you'll throw away a lot of money in the application process by submitting before you have a good approach. It sounds like you don't have any paid HCE, and very little patient care experience. I would work on getting patient care work and get your gpa up. Only do RN if you could be happy with it indefinitely.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Hi All! I am new to this website and would greatly appreciate any advice so thank you for the help in advance!

You only have one post on SDN and have not returned since this OP, so I'm not sure if you are even still around. That said, your details are not detailed enough. What is your overall undergrad GPA? What is your GPA in your pre-reqs? How many total hours of hard clinical experience do you have?

PA school is legit competitive these days (I'm applying this cycle, and it is crazy the ratio of applicants to available spots). From what I understand, these three things are what the adcoms use for the initial screen (cGPA, sGPA, #hours clinical experience). After that point, each school assigns points to your application based on various factors that are unique to those schools.

Provide more information and people here can help you.