Compilation of 2015 MCAT Preliminary Percentiles, and Practice Exam Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xenith

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Sorry for posting this everywhere. I think it deserves its own thread considering the work we have put into it and the interest people have shown.

mcatjelly and I compiled data on final scores, preliminary percentiles, the AAMC full length, and company exams in the following google doc. Please check it out and give us feedback! Also, if your information is missing or incorrect, please edit it!

PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE! The embedded sheet will make this thread very slow if it is quoted.

Also, click this >link< to open in a new window (especially useful for mobile devices)!

PS: Can this be stickied?

PSS: For scores after July Here is a link to the form, and here is a link to the new spreadsheet. Thanks to mcatjelly!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 28 users
Don't be discouraged - Kaplan has some of the hardest FLs out there. If you can consistently score above a 500 on one of those (after maybe two or three tests) you should be good for the MCAT. 497 isn't bad for your first FL Kaplan test.

To everyone else - I just took the test today and it was pretty hard! Did any of you get out of your test thinking you did poorly, only to discover you did better than you expected?

I feel this way too. I did pretty well on the AAMC FL and Kaplan but today was quite difficult.

I feel this way too. I did pretty well on the AAMC FL and Kaplan but today was quite difficult.

At least if everyone felt this way, they may adjust it! Praying for that. I did surprisingly well on the AAMC FL but didn't feel great after finishing it, so hopefully that generalizes to this one too.

Reactions: 1 user
I just scored 501 124/126/127/124 on Kaplan FL 1 today. I heard the score scales were adjusted recently. Does anybody know when this happened and whether or not I should actually be worrying about my first FL score. I know the scores are still deflated, but was just curious about what this score means now. If this post does not make sense, I apologize. My brain is mush.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just scored 501 124/126/127/124 on Kaplan FL 1 today. I heard the score scales were adjusted recently. Does anybody know when this happened and whether or not I should actually be worrying about my first FL score. I know the scores are still deflated, but was just curious about what this score means now. If this post does not make sense, I apologize. My brain is mush.

It's been adjusted score-wise, but the problems are still a bit harder than the real test. Kaplan scores will generally still be lower than actual test results.

All they mean is that they added the percentiles that correlate to your scores. In other words, the percentiles the aamc predicted didn't end up being exactly perfect (pretty close though). However, still, it seems students scoring in the mid 500s, ie 505+, are killing the mcat. So to answer your question, don't be worried. My highest score on a Kaplan was a 508 and I scored a 521 on the real deal. All they mean was that they added percentiles to your composite score based on the april, may, and june test takers. But haven't readjusted the difficulty. So still, a 505 is a great score for a Kaplan FL

Reactions: 1 users
All they mean is that they added the percentiles that correlate to your scores. In other words, the percentiles the aamc predicted didn't end up being exactly perfect (pretty close though). However, still, it seems students scoring in the mid 500s, ie 505+, are killing the mcat. So to answer your question, don't be worried. My highest score on a Kaplan was a 508 and I scored a 521 on the real deal. All they mean was that they added percentiles to your composite score based on the april, may, and june test takers. But haven't readjusted the difficulty. So still, a 505 is a great score for a Kaplan FL
I thought they added points as well on the new scale? so now scores have increased from the old scale? to clarify, 502 on the old scale might be a 503 or 504 on their new scale

I thought they added points as well on the new scale? so now scores have increased from the old scale? to clarify, 502 on the old scale might be a 503 or 504 on their new scale
I don't think so. My old FLs I took now have percentiles, but they are all the same composite scores

They definitely changed the scores as well, mine went from 505 to 510 on a few. If you were on the lower side of scores then it may not have changed.

They definitely changed the scores as well, mine went from 505 to 510 on a few. If you were on the lower side of scores then it may not have changed.
do you think the new score scales are still deflated like the last scale was? I'm hoping to crack 510 soon! just got a 508 on FL6

do you think the new score scales are still deflated like the last scale was? I'm hoping to crack 510 soon! just got a 508 on FL6
Yes I think they are still a bit deflated, I don't have my scores back so I don't know, but it seems I did much better on the AAMC FL then Kaplan based on predicted percentiles

I thought they said a maximum of 2-3 points change... 505 to 510 is a huge jump wow

Yeah my first 2 505's didn't change much maybe 1 point or so but then the last three were 510, 510, 508. So who knows. It helped my confidence because the 5 consecutive 505's was a bit disheartening.

The scores definitely changed, mine jumped from what I got. About a 4-5 point difference on some. They made it so that you could get a couple more incorrect and still get a bit higher of a score (for theirs, missing two or three questions usually brought you down to at the highest a 130, while on the real test people have said they missed at least 3 and still got a 131) so they switched it to match this

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, but what exactly does a 501 on my first Kaplan test mean now? Does it mean that if it were a real MCAT test that my score would only be a few points higher than Kaplan's, or is the deflation still extreme enough that 501 = ~508 on real test?

Yeah, but what exactly does a 501 on my first Kaplan test mean now? Does it mean that if it were a real MCAT test that my score would only be a few points higher than Kaplan's, or is the deflation still extreme enough that 501 = ~508 on real test?

The second one.

Just take the AAMC FL and find out for sure. I don't even know why people are taking Kaplan.

The second one.

Just take the AAMC FL and find out for sure. I don't even know why people are taking Kaplan.

I took the AAMC FL at the end of May as a diagnostic and scored a 28-30 using old AAMC data. I feel like content review has been mostly a waste of time, and I wish I focused more on doing questions in bulk rather than Kaplan questions as I read and a few passages here and there. :\ I have a month until my exam, so I'm just doing a ton of passages and discretes to fill in content gaps. Most of my missed questions on the Kaplan exam (and on AAMC) seem to be from being rusty in a few topics and not from having trouble with reasoning.

I took the AAMC FL at the end of May as a diagnostic and scored a 28-30 using old AAMC data. I feel like content review has been mostly a waste of time, and I wish I focused more on doing questions in bulk rather than Kaplan questions as I read and a few passages here and there. :\ I have a month until my exam, so I'm just doing a ton of passages and discretes to fill in content gaps. Most of my missed questions on the Kaplan exam (and on AAMC) seem to be from being rusty in a few topics and not from having trouble with reasoning.

The two bolded clauses stand in contradiction with each other. If you don't have an accurate way to determine if content review has been helpful (Kaplan is BS), then you don't know how helpful it has been.

EK would be helpful at this point to properly gauge where you're at. Would also give you some legitimate practice.

The spreadsheet shows that plenty of people used Kaplan to prepare for really high scores. While I agree that EK can be more AAMC like, the Kaplan exams are useful as well.

The two bolded clauses stand in contradiction with each other. If you don't have an accurate way to determine if content review has been helpful (Kaplan is BS), then you don't know how helpful it has been.

EK would be helpful at this point to properly gauge where you're at. Would also give you some legitimate practice.

I'd disagree here. While the Kaplan tests weren't representative of the true exam, the fact that they're largely more difficult helps you know the material at a more internalized level. It's pretty easy to answer conceptual physics questions on the real MCAT when Kaplan has been asking you to do in depth thinking and calculating on that same topic.

I think Kaplan misses the mark most in psych/soc. They left out quite a few terms. But their tests were good to learn pacing and working under pressure (and the fact that there's a ton of them gives you more opportunities to practice)

I don't disagree that it'd be helpful to augment it with EK tests though. I wish I had done that in the months leading up to my test.

Yeah my first 2 505's didn't change much maybe 1 point or so but then the last three were 510, 510, 508. So who knows. It helped my confidence because the 5 consecutive 505's was a bit disheartening.

The scores definitely changed, mine jumped from what I got. About a 4-5 point difference on some. They made it so that you could get a couple more incorrect and still get a bit higher of a score (for theirs, missing two or three questions usually brought you down to at the highest a 130, while on the real test people have said they missed at least 3 and still got a 131) so they switched it to match this

Oh lol .. I thought my 504 on Kaplan 1 (the only one I took) was at worst a 502... so it could have been a 498-499 on the old scale... confidence=blown :D

How are people reporting AAMC practice FL scores in the low to mid 80's and scoring 90+ on the real thing? A) Isn't the AAMC practice FL typically done as the last FL and thus the best indicator of your actual score and B) is the AAMC practice FL really that much harder than the real thing?

A) Yea, for some reason people are using the FL (the only FL available) as a diagnostic... not a good idea at all. It should be one of the last exams taken before the real thing. B) The AAMC FL is EASIER than the real thing...

How are people reporting AAMC practice FL scores in the low to mid 80's and scoring 90+ on the real thing? A) Isn't the AAMC practice FL typically done as the last FL and thus the best indicator of your actual score and B) is the AAMC practice FL really that much harder than the real thing?

I figured it was because their percent correct on the AAMC FL (in the low to mid 80's) corresponds to 90+ percentile on the real thing.

But yeah, I agree that it's dumb to use the AAMC FL as a diagnostic and that it's easier than the real thing.

Google the difference between percentage and percentiles.

That is sooooo bad! I'm sorry that they made you do that. What course?

I probably can't say too much without compromising my anonymity, but I'll just say it was a prep course offered every year within my state and not one of the major prep companies. My peers used it and said it was just as good as a "big name" prep course like Kaplan and was cheaper (close to half the price). However, by the time I went through it, I realized its usefulness was nil but it was too late to ask for a refund. The prep course also overemphasized content review, so I feel like I haven't been exposed to as many problems as I should have been.

I feel that I can at least get by with a competitive score on the low end by the time I take the test in September, but if I ever have to retake it for whatever reason, I am definitely not using any prep course. I do much better by myself.

Last edited:
It's interesting that the percentile values stay the same for each respective score within a section (no matter the test), yet the number correct per section can differ across tests and still amount to the same score. I wonder how Kaplan comes up with these numbers. Hoping my increasing test scores are my own doing and not Kaplan inflating scoring to cause perception of trends. Scored a 510 on FL#4 but the number correct in each section didn't seem too different from my 505 in FL#3

It's interesting that the percentile values stay the same for each respective score within a section (no matter the test), yet the number correct per section can differ across tests and still amount to the same score. I wonder how Kaplan comes up with these numbers. Hoping my increasing test scores are my own doing and not Kaplan inflating scoring to cause perception of trends. Scored a 510 on FL#4 but the number correct in each section didn't seem too different from my 505 in FL#3

Doesn't Kaplan generally make it easier to score higher as you take more exams anyway to honor their guarantee?

Does anyone know when the new AAMC FL is going to be available? Will it be available before the last test dates in September?

I'd hope not between successive FL's. I think the higher score guarantee is a comparison between your actual AAMC score and your diagnostic, but I could be wrong.

Oh lol .. I thought my 504 on Kaplan 1 (the only one I took) was at worst a 502... so it could have been a 498-499 on the old scale... confidence=blown :D

Kaplan's stuff is still more difficult than the real thing though. Just keep at it and try and get into the 507 range - people who scores in the 508-512 range (on the new adjusted scale) on Kaplan tests often score above the 90th percentile.

A) Yea, for some reason people are using the FL (the only FL available) as a diagnostic... not a good idea at all. It should be one of the last exams taken before the real thing. B) The AAMC FL is EASIER than the real thing...

I've never understood why people do this. I was almost afraid to take the AAMC FL because I didn't want to waste what could be a big confidence booster by being unprepared and getting a bad score.

I think the biggest discrepancy in difficulty is on the CARS section. The one on AAMC FL was a lot easier than the real thing. I think the other sections were comparable in difficulty

I've never understood why people do this. I was almost afraid to take the AAMC FL because I didn't want to waste what could be a big confidence booster by being unprepared and getting a bad score

In my case, my percentages (68%/94%/71%/71%) were actually decent when I compared to what people reported on SDN, so it was somewhat of a confidence booster. After all, if you take an AAMC test the first time without preparing at all, you would think you will do better after studying. I feel that it makes me maybe a little overconfident, though.

Also, I still have yet to take the OG as a half-length, and I still am working on my AAMC question bundle. I suppose those will give me a better indication of where I am at closer to the exam.

In my case, my percentages (68%/94%/71%/71%) were actually decent when I compared to what people reported on SDN, so it was somewhat of a confidence booster. After all, if you take an AAMC test the first time without preparing at all, you would think you will do better after studying. I feel that it makes me maybe a little overconfident, though.

Also, I still have yet to take the OG as a half-length, and I still am working on my AAMC question bundle. I suppose those will give me a better indication of where I am at closer to the exam.

I suppose you could look at it this way, didn't see it from that angle. I will say the Qpacks are better than prep courses but not as good as AAMC FL or OG since the questions from the former come from old MCAT tests, and not the new one. So in particular the Biology ones aren't super representative since they aren't as research based.

Assuming you guys are going to keep this going with the new July scores (even though we did not get preliminary percentiles)....

Kaplan 1: 504
Kaplan 2: 506
Kaplan 3: 506

Next Step 1: 511
Next Step 2: 512

AAMC FL : 81%/96%/86%/93% (89% overall)

Official Score: 130/128/128/131 Total: 517 (96th percentile)

If the original creators/current editors are no longer interested in updating the score sheet I will gladly take over if someone can send me editing permission.

Thanks to whoever created and is maintaining this resource.

Kaplan 1: 504 -> 125/128/126/125
Kaplan2: 506 -> 126/128/128/124
TPR1: 503 -> 126/127/125/125

AAMC FL (10 days before exam) CP 88 / CARS 94 / BB 90 / PS 88
AAMC OG (3 days before) CP 87 BB 90 PS 93 CARS (didn't do it)

Q packs (first half only) Bio1 94%, Chem1 85%,

Actual = 131 / 128 / 132 / 129
Overall 520 (98th percentile)

Last edited:
Thank you guys for posting, these are invaluable! I would personally be grateful if you guys also provide the breakdown of your practice scores :p

Thank you for contributing to the community!

Haha, it's always interesting to see who posts their scores on this thread. Like I hypothesized, only those people with an MCAT score of 510+ will post their scores which only adds to the extremely biased spreadsheet.

I'm not even blaming you guys, if I get a 510+ you can bet I'll be laying out all of my stats since day 1 lol

You can always comb through the official July MCAT thread to see all of the other scores that people aren't posting here. A lot of people have posted their practice exam info there.

Not sure if you want my info since I never really completed a practice exam, but for the real thing:

C/P: 132 (100%)
CARS: 130 (97%)
B/BC: 132 (100%)
P/S: 128 (86%)

Total: 522 (99%)

Exam date Jul 18

C/P:129 (93%) No clue how this happened. This was supposd to be worst, while i thought i did >90% on CARS and B/BC :shrug:
CARS:126 (70%) :confused:
B/BC:127(77%)
P/S:127 (66%) :(
Overall: 508 (77%)

Practice Kaplan: 498 (before practice), 499, 501,501
TPR: 499, 501
AAMC FL: C/P 66%, CARS 79%, B/BS 76%, and Psych 68% Total: 72%

I just took the TPR Demo (eww) and scored 503 (125/125/124/129). The C/P section was horrible. Surprisingly I did meh on the CARS and biology sections (I would have thought they would have been the best, especially CARS) and the Behavioral Science section was super easy. I guess this is good.

Last edited:
AAMC FL 2 days before test. 49/83/61/80.

TPR 1-5: 499, 499, 498, 503, 503.

7/17 test: 500 total 123/127/125/125.