About the ads

Compiled Podiatry Salary Stats

Discussion in 'Podiatry Students' started by busupshot83, Sep 8, 2005.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. busupshot83

busupshot83 S.D.N. Vet

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Thought this would be helpful:

2004 Jack & Harris Salary Survey

Podiatrist (General)
    Northeast: $172,063.00
    Southeast: NA
    West: NA
    Midwest: $137,708.00

Podiatrist (Surgery, Foot & Ankle)
    Northeast: $191,409.00
    Southeast: $170,909.00
    West: NA
    Midwest: Na

Source: http://jacksonandharris.com/physicians/salarytool.aspx

2004 Allied Physicians Salary Survey

Podiatry
    Years 1-2: $128,000
    Years 3+: $168,000
    Max: $292,000

Source: http://www.allied-physicians.com/salary_surveys/physician-salaries.htm

2004 AMGA Medical Group Compensation and Financial Survey

Podiatrist (General)
    All: $154,784
    East: $130,934
    West: $185,362
    South: $168,563
    North: $153,179

Podiatrist (Surgical)
    All: $169,427
    East: NA
    West: $167,098
    South: $150,493
    North: $190,590

Source: http://www.cejkasearch.com/compensation/amga_midlevel_compensation_survey.htm
  2. Dmayor22

Dmayor22 Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    On the CDRom that I was sent from the APMA says the average salary for a podiatrist was 279,000. Also, all the pods that I have spoken with say the internet and other averages are very low and not accurate because they include military and residents. That a surgical podiatrist should be making around the 200's and on up with more and more experience. Any thoughts on that information? Is the APMA boosting their stats to apeal to more people and the podiatrists that I spoke too, are they just the very successful ones and arent talking about the average?
  3. busupshot83

busupshot83 S.D.N. Vet

SDN 7+ Year Member
    The averages you see online will always be off, so take them as a grain of salt. As for $279,000 being the average for podiatrists, are you referring to surgical pods? That seems a high for an average, but then again, I'm not too familiar with podiatrists' salaries.
  4. HailToTheThielf

HailToTheThielf Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    how come more people aren't going into podiatry? I ssounds pretty good=good pay, less stress than MD, less work. it says average pod making ~$172,000. Thats about the amount a family practice doc makes! So why aren't more people going into podiatry? It seems like a laid back version of the MD with the same financial benefits. no pun intended.
  5. IlizaRob

IlizaRob IlizaRob-erator Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Prestige
  6. busupshot83

busupshot83 S.D.N. Vet

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I believe that the majority of pre-meds out there are lacking exposure to other health professions. Almost every freshmen in undergraduate science classes claim to be a "pre-med," not knowing anything about what the field entails. While speaking to a pre-med a couple of weeks ago, I was surprised that she didn't know what Osteopathic medicine was... and that pertains to the same field that she is vying for! "Pre-meds" need to start looking at all their options before they claim something that they know nothing about.

Another reason may be prestige. For instance: many pre-meds use to hate on the field of dentistry, portraying dentists as mere tooth-mechanics, only to find themselves rushing to apply to dental schools after they saw that their glorious medical field was being clamped down by HMOs.

However, many people truely don't know what they want to specialize in as of yet, and in that sense, medical school is the best option for them. Fields such as optometry, dentistry, podiatry, etc. are all specialized fields within the realm of medicine, so you best know what you are getting yourself into!
  7. PhunPheet08

PhunPheet08 DPM in '08, I can't wait!

Other Health Professions Student
    I am so THRILLED to be a podiatry student!!! For the life of me, I can't understand why most pre-meds aren't heading this way!?! Too bad for them and more benefits for me :laugh:

I agree w/B83, most people just don't know about the profession. I had to practically pry out of my college counselor! It's great pay, awesome hours, it is very prestigious (don't believe the internet rumors :rolleyes: ) and most importantly, you get to help people. Who could ask for anything more?