Complete by Mid July and Silence?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FeinMS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all

I was done with all the secondaries by mid July. but I haven't heard back from most of the schools. I applied to 16 and got 2 II/ 2 rejection. Should I expect interviews in Jan and Feb? or should I start preparing for the next cycle?

My Lizzy M is 76 (unbalanced bc Verbal on MCAT is 8) and applied to all CA and NYC schools.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hey all

I was done with all the secondaries by mid July. but I haven't heard back from most of the schools. I applied to 16 and got 2 II/ 2 rejection. Should I expect interviews in Jan and Feb? or should I start preparing for the next cycle?

My Lizzy M is 76 (unbalanced bc Verbal on MCAT is 8) and applied to all CA and NYC schools.

Thanks
I wouldn't consider 2 II to be silence. I'm sure you have a decent shot at getting in those places. And there is still a possibility for more II but I wouldn't hold my breath. I hate to say this but I think the 8 on the verbal is probably holding you back.

hey all

Thanks

You may receive another II, but I think you made a mistake in not applying more broadly. It may be wise to start building your application for a re-application cycle.

-Bill

Edit: It is still possible that you will get some good news from the two schools that you already interviewed at (assuming you haven't heard back yet). Even if you end up getting waitlisted, you could end up with an acceptance as late as June or July.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You picked 2 states. Don't do that next time.

Reactions: 7 users
hey all

Thanks
1. 2 II's is not silence.
2. You applied to arguably 2 of the 4 hardest states only, and you're a resident of one at best.
3. Start preparing just in case. If you have to reapply, apply early and apply to states that are not California and New York, or at least apply to 30-40 if you want to do those states.

You might have aimed too high with a VR8. But, they're probably still working their way down the pile to yours. It's a long cycle, and apps are up this year. Did you get any feedback on your two rejections?

hey all

Thanks

Reactions: 1 users
Some of the CA and NYC schools receive like 10k applications. Like @Goro said, probably should have selected lower tier schools.

Best to maybe email them that you are interested in that school and/or any updates in your application.

You might have aimed too high with a VR8. But, they're probably still working their way down the pile to yours. It's a long cycle, and apps are up this year. Did you get any feedback on your two rejections?
Nope, no feedback but just an automated rejection letter. I was particularly worried since I saw many other who were complete later than me receive some sort of response (including rejection).

Thank you all for your answers. Maybe I aimed too high, but I really wanted to stay in CA. Typical CA resident problem.

There's always Touro-CA and Western.

You can call the schools that rejected you and ask for feedback (not consultation or advice). Some schools won't give feedback, but some do.

Nope, no feedback but just an automated rejection letter. I was particularly worried since I saw many other who were complete later than me receive some sort of response (including rejection).

Thank you all for your answers. Maybe I aimed too high, but I really wanted to stay in CA. Typical CA resident problem.

If you wanted to stay in CA, why was your other option NY? C'mon now. You don't need to be in the biggest shiniest, most desirable places. There are plenty of California-raised med students complaining about the weather all over the country.

If it doesn't work out this year, apply all over... including Winston Salem, St. Louis, Milwaukee...

Reactions: 5 users
There's always Touro-CA and Western.

You can call the schools that rejected you and ask for feedback (not consultation or advice). Some schools won't give feedback, but some do.
CA tends to be a "useless feedback, if any" state.

Did you apply to ALL NY schools, or just the ones in Manhattan?

OP did not apply broadly enough (esp as a CA resident). End of story.

Reactions: 3 users
If I, as a California resident, had only applied to CA and NYC schools, I would be sitting at a grand total of 1 II instead of the 8 that I have right now. Applying broadly is everything

Reactions: 3 users
What state are you a resident of? If I had a choice of two states I would not apply to Cali would be numero uno and NY would be in the top 5 as well. If all does not work out this cycle invest in the MSAR and apply broadly. Even with an 8 in your MCAT your LizzyM is good to go. However all is far from lost just yet.

I am a resident in CA, but I have relatives in NYC. I've only applied to NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Einstein, Icahn.

I am a resident in CA, but I have relatives in NYC. I've only applied to NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Einstein, Icahn.
That is extremely top heavy, you can't be that picky in a process that is this difficult. Hopefully it works out but if not you need to be a lot more open to other places next year.

That is extremely top heavy, you can't be that picky in a process that is this difficult. Hopefully it works out but if not you need to be a lot more open to other places next year.

Yup yup lesson learned. Thanks for input everyone

I completely agree. OP, why didn't you apply to schools in other states? Regardless of "tier," there are great medical schools in every corner of the USA. I personally have loved living in St. Louis and enjoyed living in NC before I went to college. And both places have great med schools. If you knew that as a CA applicant, the odds were stacked against you already, then you should have applied much more broadly and accept the fact that you'll most likely not end up going to school in CA.