Complete M.S. or go MD now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Warderino92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm finishing up the 1st year of a masters degree and am in position to start a M.D. program next year. I was wondering if I should defer an acceptance to finish the masters and try to get some publications in, or skip the 2nd year of the masters and go straight into the M.D. program instead. I know my interests will change during medical school but I have been interested in radiation oncology for awhile. My school has no rad onc program so the only chance I will have to get any sort of clinical research will be through away summer research programs after M1 year, hence my interest in trying to knock out a pub or two with my thesis in bench cancer research. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I'd go MD right away and not waste a year. You'll have opportunities in medical school if you look hard enough and your interests could change. Also, I really don't know how publications before medical school are looked at.

To go into more debt or not to go into more debt

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1) what sort of masters?
2) are you paying?
3) how practical (honestly) is it to get 1+ publications in the course of your degree?

Having completed a MS with a thesis (research/writing/defending) but NOT as anyone with experience on the other side of med school...

If you're paying: I'd bail.
If publications aren't already in process: I'd bail.
But if the degree would be useful if 'all else fails' (you bail from med school), maybe it's worth some time/stress/hope of publications to stick around.

Another option would be to take a Leave of Absence from the Masters Program with the intent to return after the MS-2 or MS-4 year to complete it, when you have a better idea of your future specialty interest. No need to burn bridges prematurely.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I would personally complete the MS if research is ongoing and about to be complete or atleast on track of completion. You will go straight to med school and depending on how useful or relevant that MS is, your fellowship options could be influenced greatly with the credentials.

It's a masters in biomedical sciences from the medical school I will be attending if that makes any difference.

It's a masters in biomedical sciences from the medical school I will be attending if that makes any difference.
my opinion: pursue it if you don't want to complete it during your med school career. You will have a different way at looking at things and your residency spot could be influenced by your credentials and publications that you may document during your last year. I don't know if having a break and completing would have any effect on the data and current research you have. That is important to consider.