Complete Nontrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1stGenDreamMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know I'm probably going to get a lot of negative replies. But, here is my story nonetheless.

I'm 21, from high school on I knew I wanted to go to med school but suffered quite a bit of hiccups along the way. I was raised by my grandparents, they were the only parents I knew, before high school my grandmother died from Liver cancer [which sparked my wanting to become a physician], then in Junior year, my grandfather died from a heart attack. Besides being bumped around, living from place to place, and working as much as I could at a local grocery store to afford rent with my biological mom [who's extremely mentally unstable], I still graduated with a 3.33gpa, Obviously not as good as it could have been, but I did my best with what I had. I then went on to a small university instate, with dreams of going pre-med, but did terrible my first year, so switched to philosophy, but still did terrible. I didn't know until about second semester sophomore year I had bipolar and depression and couldn't balance trying to deal with my finances, working, and grades. Nonetheless I did not finish school. I dropped my Junior year and am now currently just taking a break. My dreams for becoming a physician have obviously diminished to about nothing, but it's still there. I just don't think it's possible anymore. I was going to go into nursing for a while and then maybe try to get onto a track for medical school, but honestly, what would I even have to do now to get in? I didn't finish an undergrad, so I would plan on going back, but probably not for a while. Thus, why I'm thinking nursing for now. I am also having my first child which is also another reason why I plan on waiting.

I did not end up having even a 2.0 gpa at my first school. Am I crazy for thinking it's still even slightly possible?

Members don't see this ad.

The only way to get on a medical school track would be to complete your Bachelors degree at a 4 year university.

That would allow you time to do as well as you could and complete the pre-med requirements. It will all depend on how many units you have to how fast your GPA can be fixed.

If it is possible, that will be the right track.

Maybe go to a community college or extension program and take a light course load of classes that can transfer to a program at a university you are interested in. That may ease you in and see if going back to school for a while is something you really want to do.

I don't think you are at a point where you can be on the pre-med track yet though. I think you need to focus on taking classes that will allow you to get in to a quality undergrad program.

The only way to get on a medical school track would be to complete your Bachelors degree at a 4 year university.

That would allow you time to do as well as you could and complete the pre-med requirements. It will all depend on how many units you have to how fast your GPA can be fixed.

If it is possible, that will be the right track.

Maybe go to a community college or extension program and take a light course load of classes that can transfer to a program at a university you are interested in. That may ease you in and see if going back to school for a while is something you really want to do.

I don't think you are at a point where you can be on the pre-med track yet though. I think you need to focus on taking classes that will allow you to get in to a quality undergrad program.

Yeah, I know I'm not even close to being pre-med right now. I'm thinking maybe I should get a BSN first, and work for a few years, and then get on the route that I would need to get into medical school because I know right now I live in a city where starting a community college and then transferring would be a good option but I plan on moving closer to family where there really isn't a college/university nearby that would be some where I would like to go. Maybe, wait until my child is older, then move to a bigger city where I can go to a decent university? I'm just so lost I don't even know where I should start.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't address your personal issues, though I sympathize about your situation.

Your priorities with your child and family will likely guide your decision.

Best of luck.

I think going for your BSN is a good idea. if you're not in a hurry to get into med school, working for several years (especially in a clinical setting) could be your best option. if you can, you should also think about taking some med school prerequisites while getting your BSN, as well as starting your volunteering and improving your ECs and stuff. do your best in school and be patient. good luck!

I think going for your BSN is a good idea. if you're not in a hurry to get into med school, working for several years (especially in a clinical setting) could be your best option. if you can, you should also think about taking some med school prerequisites while getting your BSN, as well as starting your volunteering and improving your ECs and stuff. do your best in school and be patient. good luck!

Thanks so much for your optimism. I plan on doing that I think. There's absolutely no rush for getting into med school for me, as long as I do accomplish it someday I'll be more than grateful.

Reactions: 1 user