Completing postdoc in a state that does not require one- licensure question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Childdoconeday

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently a postdoc in a state that does not require postdoc hours because I wanted the additional training/supervision, plus I may move in the future.

My question is, can I apply for EPPP and licensure now, as the hours I have from pre-internship and internship are sufficient? Can i apply and study for EPPP while I earn my postdoc hours which I could use for a different state's license if I ever move?

I would love to knock out the EPPP (if i am able to pass...) and become licensed during postdoc year, without waiting to earn my postdoc hours.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see why not. If you meet the requirements of the state that you are in, then send in the app and continue getting the post-doc supervised hours that you might need for other states. I actually was licensed about a month before I finished my one year of post-doc work because the state that I was in counted hours as opposed to time. I just made sure to keep supervision going for that last month. I also had all of my credentials verified for the National Register of Health Service Psychologists which helps to smooth out some of the state to state variances and ensures that I have documentation of everything down the road.

Reactions: 1 user