complicated problem, please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smeevil

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year I applied to 8 clinical phD programs and got 3 interivews and didn't get in.

Now I'm applying to 22 programs . 11 PsyD, 11 PhD programs and trying to apply to clinically oriented programs or ones that have an equal emphasis.

I'm interested in sexual dysfunction and marital/relationship conflict.

The programs I'm applying to:

AuburnPhD clinicalU of S CarolinaPhD clinicalCity U of NY at City CollegePhD clinicalU of TennesseePhD clinicalU of Rhode IslandPhD clinicalTexas Women's UPhD counselingIndiana U of PennsylvaniaPsyD clinicalWidenerPsyD clinicalIdaho StatePhD clinicalU of Detroit MercyPhD clinicalYeshiva UPsyD clinicalTexas TechPhD counselingVirginia ConsortiumPsyD clinicalBaylorPsyD clinicalRutgersPsyD clinicalU of DenverPsyD clinicalNova Southeastern UPsyD clinicalFlorida Institute of Tech.PsyD clinicalMarshall UPsyD clinicalLong Island U-CW Post campusPsyD clinicalAdelphiPhD clinicalWestern Michigan UPhD clinical

GRE 1370, Writing GRE 5.5, GPA 3.73, Psych GRE 700

I currently work full-time in a mental health center as a "service coordinator, and basically I help people with developmental disabilities get services (so I help people with mental ******ation, autism, or asperger's, many of whom have psychological diagnoses). I've been doing that since July 2007.

As far as research experience, I did an honors thesis during college.

I also from July 2007-January 2008 volunteered in a lab at my undergrad university as an RA after I graduated (while I was also working full time). I was helping with a study about female sexual arousal disorder. Here's the problem:

I quit doing that volunteering in January 2008 b/c the grad student I volunteered for had sent me and another grad student that was helping her an email asking if we were coming back that semester. I thought it was ok to quit; the semester was over. When I interviewed with that grad student in July I said I would work until the study was over, but my circumstances changed. Now the grad student won't write me a letter this year because of that (even though I offered to come back a month after I quit and apologized profusely and explained it was due to financial/personal problems which is true, etc.) She had given me a letter last year (but that was before I quit), and for the 8 months before I quit, she really liked me and thought I was an awesome RA.

I wasn't too worried about this, since I have 3 other ppl to write me strong recs-my thesis advisor, my supervisor at work, and another psych prof from my undergrad university (all said they'd write strong recs).

Yesterday when talking with my psych prof that is writing me a letter she asked if I was getting a letter from the lab that I volunteered for. I didn't want to have to explain it for fear she'd think I was a horrible person, but I didn't know how not to so explained it. That prof seemed to think that the admissions ppl might contact the lab or wonder why I didn't get a rec from the prof that ran the lab. (For this lab,the grad students write the recs and the prof just signs them.)

I also just wonder if it looks bad that I haven't had any research experience in a year or whatever.

Two other grad students in that lab are looking for people. Should I try to work with them? I know I'd barely be able to put it in my apps since they are due during Dec and Jan... Also, they might immediately say no since the grad student I used to work for might have bad mouthed me. But also I wondered if that might help if the admin ppl do contact that lab. I also thought it might help to have more recent research stuff. Plus I never really got to learn SPSS very much, and they are doing other sex related things.

Do you think I should try to work with these other grad stuents?
I'm just really worried about getting into grad school. I'm applying to 22 schools, but I can't afford to not get in this year. If I don't then I'd have to just give up on my dream of being a psychologist. This is the only thing that really concerns me about my chances of getting in.

Sorry this is so long, but please reply. I really need your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Which school gave you interviews, but no acceptance? You seem to have some good credentials, did they state why they did not accept you?

I had interviews at University of Utah and University of Nevada-Las Vegas.

I emailed the prof at U of Utah, and he said my research interests were not as developed as the other student who was competing for the same spot. That is probably true. My main interest is in practice. I can do research, but it's not my passion. Even though Utah is supposedly a 4 on a scale of 1-most clinically oriented and 7-most research oriented, they still I think look down on people I think that say their ultimate goal is private practice.

I know I'm interested in sexual dysfunction and marital/relationship conflict, but it seemed they wanted me to have a plan for a possible dissertation ready, and I didn't.

I'm also just not very good at interviews, I don't think. I don't like small talk, and I had to go to a lot of party type things for both schools. At Utah, the other girl competing for the same spot was very bubbly and outgoing and talked to everyone. I'm just kind of shy.

I was invited for an interview at University of Vermont but didn't go (stupid of me).

Members don't see this ad :)
For what it's worth, I think your creds look good for a lot of PsyD programs, including Rutgers. The only thing that could hold you back there is interviews - they do group interviews that require that you speak up a bit, although they're also looking to see if you cooperate well with other people.

Good luck.:thumbup:

You mean Indiana University of Pennsylvania? Do you mind if I ask why?

It's a PsyD program, has Dr. McHugh who does sex stuff, and the avg GRE and GPA are 1220 and 3.7 so not out of my reach. They have good funding. Plus their match for internships is 83.6.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Do you think I should try to work with these other grad stuents?
I'm just really worried about getting into grad school. I'm applying to 22 schools, but I can't afford to not get in this year. If I don't then I'd have to just give up on my dream of being a psychologist. This is the only thing that really concerns me about my chances of getting in.

Sorry this is so long, but please reply. I really need your help.

I had a similar problem, my relationship with my professor grew acrimonious and she was also an adviser on my honors thesis as well. I simply did not use her as a reference. I simply made sure that my letter writers were of sufficient quality to make it a non-issue.

I had a similar problem my first year and did not get in... my second round was extremely strong and I applied to 27 programs. I too, "HAD" to get in, as my window of opportunity for military service was limited.

Mark

I had a similar problem, my relationship with my professor grew acrimonious and she was also an adviser on my honors thesis as well. I simply did not use her as a reference. I simply made sure that my letter writers were of sufficient quality to make it a non-issue.

I had a similar problem my first year and did not get in... my second round was extremely strong and I applied to 27 programs. I too, "HAD" to get in, as my window of opportunity for military service was limited.

Mark

So you did end up getting in? That makes me feel so relieved. I've just been so worried about this. I can barely sleep sometimes.

You have very little, if anything, to worry about. Schools will not notice that you did get a letter from your lab. When I was applying to graduate school, I did not get a letter from a lab I volunteered at either. I did not ask for a letter because I found out the professor wrote vague and ineffective letters (e.g., he would say the same vague things for everybody "he completes his work in a timely manner") for other grad school applicants in the lab. Thus, I got letters from other profs who I only took a few classes from but, at the same time, would put more effort into my letters and help me get in. I got offers at every PhD program I applied at. Assuming your letters are good and you interview well, you will do well, too.

Also, when I was applying for internship, I did not get a letter from my main professor/dissertation chair because he wrote vague and ineffective letters for other students, too. For one friend, he just wrote things like "xyz's dissertation will make an impact on the field. xyz is a quick learner" and give no concrete examples of anything. I knew internship was a clinical year and, my school being a VERY heavily research program, he could not comment on my clinical work. I used supervisors who knew me less well but could talk about my clinical work. No schools noticed this and I got 14 out of 18 interviews for which I applied.

The one thing that you need to think about is why you want to be in clnical psychology so badly. IMO, the field is not that great. There are too few internships to go around. There are too many students coming out. Salaries are falling. In general, your scope of practice is very circumscribed. You are constantly struggling to make ends meet. In the state I am in now, there are employees workng at the medical school who are ABD and told me that there is no point in finishing their dissertation because pay won't go up for having a PhD. Good Luck!

You have very little, if anything, to worry about. Schools will not notice that you did get a letter from your lab. When I was applying to graduate school, I did not get a letter from a lab I volunteered at either. I did not ask for a letter because I found out the professor wrote vague and ineffective letters (e.g., he would say the same vague things for everybody "he completes his work in a timely manner") for other grad school applicants in the lab. Thus, I got letters from other profs who I only took a few classes from but, at the same time, would put more effort into my letters and help me get in. I got offers at every PhD program I applied at. Assuming your letters are good and you interview well, you will do well, too.

Also, when I was applying for internship, I did not get a letter from my main professor/dissertation chair because he wrote vague and ineffective letters for other students, too. For one friend, he just wrote things like "xyz's dissertation will make an impact on the field. xyz is a quick learner" and give no concrete examples of anything. I knew internship was a clinical year and, my school being a VERY heavily research program, he could not comment on my clinical work. I used supervisors who knew me less well but could talk about my clinical work. No schools noticed this and I got 14 out of 18 interviews for which I applied.

The one thing that you need to think about is why you want to be in clnical psychology so badly. IMO, the field is not that great. There are too few internships to go around. There are too many students coming out. Salaries are falling. In general, your scope of practice is very circumscribed. You are constantly struggling to make ends meet. In the state I am in now, there are employees workng at the medical school who are ABD and told me that there is no point in finishing their dissertation because pay won't go up for having a PhD. Good Luck!

Thank you so much. That part is scary, the salaries/making ends meet.

I see no problem with you getting into any of the PsyD programs. Hell, you totally blew me away on the GRE's and I'm applying to PsyD programs. Though, the schools you are applying to seem like pretty damn good schools.

Thank you so much. That part is scary, the salaries/making ends meet.

That's just one reason that I am in the Military... Salaries are good, opportunities are excellent, and the benefits package is as good as any. There are ways to make it worthwhile financially.

Mark

I see no problem with you getting into any of the PsyD programs. Hell, you totally blew me away on the GRE's and I'm applying to PsyD programs. Though, the schools you are applying to seem like pretty damn good schools.

Thanks!!

I'd drop all of the PsyD programs except Baylor, Rutgers, and the Virginia Consortium. Your stats are excellent for a PhD program or good PsyD program; no reason to throw your money at a program like Florida Institute of Technology (for example). Utah is one I would have recommended and I would consider applying again. There's no reason they wouldn't accept you the next time and you could talk about the further development of your research idea. Getting 3 interviews out of 8 last year is a good accomplishment, nothing to sneeze at. Work on your interviewing skills. Be confident. Be sociable. When you get to the interview, it's all about sales. Personality sells. Not appearing insane sells. They want to like you. This is a skill you can develop. I was in your shoes once. I sucked at interviewing. . . just made awful impressions. . . an introvert in an extrovert's world. Now, you'd never know.

Thank you for the advice.