Composition of School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bee17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to apply to ~20 M.D./Ph.D. programs this cycle. For M.D. only applicants, I have heard that a 20-school list should consist of 5 safety schools, 10 match schools, and 5 reach schools. Does this advice hold true for M.D./Ph.D. admissions, or would you recommend something different? Sometimes I feel like every school is a reach school!

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning to apply to ~20 M.D./Ph.D. programs this cycle. For M.D. only applicants, I have heard that a 20-school list should consist of 5 safety schools, 10 match schools, and 5 reach schools. Does this advice hold true for M.D./Ph.D. admissions, or would you recommend something different? Sometimes I feel like every school is a reach school!
Yes, +\- a couple schools depending on the strength of your application and the unpredicatable nature of the process. Also always apply to your state school if they have a favorable bias for instate applicants...(also true for md only I guess)