Compounding Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RiverRook23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on being a pharmacist at a compounding pharmacy and being given a contract position with $50/hr pay rate? Should I look more into retail? Thnx

Members don't see this ad.

40 hours a week? where's the general location?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have retail experience?

I dont know then. I don't know too many people who can do retail for more than 3 years. It really changes people. They are stressed. They get angry easily. They hate going to work. They are not the same.

Take the compounding position. Do a good job for 6 months and then ask for a reasonable pay increase.

That's what I was thinking too. Plus having compounding skills may be very advantageous in the long run. Thnx :)

People don't mind paying a few extra bucks for a good worker.

The one thing that sucks about independents in general is the crappy benefits. No 401 k, not much vacation time, high cost health insurance.

They said they would offer 401k and health benefits and such when and if I moved from a contract position to a full time position

since this is a contract position, you would need pay employee and employer payroll taxes (social security and medicare) so expect to pay an extra 8% in taxes

Reactions: 1 user
what were you doing before? just moved to california?

No. After graduation, husband and I moved to Cali (for his job) and went thru months of waiting to get licensed in California. Internship hours getting approved, documents being misplaced and such. Bad situation.

No. After graduation, husband and I moved to Cali (for his job) and went thru months of waiting to get licensed in California. Internship hours getting approved, documents being misplaced and such. Bad situation.

Since you dont have much experience working as a pharmacist, i would take that offer and try to find some hours at a retail. The next class is graduating soon.

I'm a recent grad and I have received a similar offer in southern CA at a compounding pharmacy. Is $50/hr is reasonable for starting salary? I would be up for reevaluation in 6 months then every year thereafter. I've been interning them for the past month and I can see myself being very happy with that position.

They also want me to sign a long term contract up to possibly 5 years. My long term goal is to open up my own compounding pharmacy and I feel that I would definitely be ready to do so within 5 years. The owner is open to the possibility of eventually selling the business, but I'm sure that will not be for quite some time.

My alternative would be to find a higher paying retail position ($60/hr+), gain more compounding experience on the side, then try to open a store when I'm ready. However, like BM stated, my job satisfaction in retail would be MUCH lower (almost incomparable).

Having worked at this position for a few months, would you do the same thing over? Also, what advice would you give me for my situation. Thanks in advance! I'm welcome to anyone's input as well.

Last edited: