Compounding Vs. Manufacturing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Longhorn08

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The new pharmacy I'm working for fills ~120 compounds per day. All we do is mail order compounds. I was told it's ok to keep ~2-3 day supply on hand in anticipation of orders. We mainly do pain and scar creams.

I understand the FDA's rule states you can keep them in limited quantities.

Is 3 days worth considered limited? What are you doing for anticipation in your pharmacies?

Members don't see this ad.

Not aware of the regulations, but I worked in a compounding pharmacy for a while. We did mainly HRT, testosterone creams, cosmetic hydroquinones, and vet compounds. We would make stock batches of our fastest moving concentrations and dispense them for as long as the PIC was comfortable with the stability/potency. Normally about 30 days. We did pain creams as well, but these were made to order because they were normally extremely specific dosages.

it states in federal regs that you may compound prescriptions in advance/in anticipation of prescription orders based on an established history of prescription drug orders.

You can make in advance up to 5% of the total daily (or monthly dispensed I forgot which one) dispensed.

Last edited: