Computer or book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

#dental4life

Pre-Dental = dental school try-hards :D
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, if you're a dentist and have your own practice, I think u can help me out here. Do you book your patients onto the computer or in a book? And which do you prefer? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think everyone is moving toward digital, and I'm guessing it is a pain in the rear to switch everything over. If you start your own practice, I'm sure you're going to want digital everything. It will be that way for everyone eventually. 'Tis the natural progression of society...

If you're not doing most things digitally, you are losing tons of productive hours that can be better spent doing more procedures !

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're not doing most things digitally, you are losing tons of productive hours that can be better spent doing more procedures !
Ok thanks guys hahah :)

I'm not a practicing dentist but one of the dentists I shadowed 6 months ago would do it digitally and then take printouts at the end of the month and store them (She said it helped with the lawsuits - since their system got hacked into at one point of time)

It is an awful lot of paper to store. Back up is easier. Just watch to make sure your stuff is not browsing internet during the work hours

Unlike most of my colleagues’ offices, which are 100% digital, my offices still use $10 appointment books to schedule our patients. The patients’ names are written in pencil so we can make changes when the patients change their appointments. I also use paper charts to keep the progress notes, x ray films, health hx, billing info, inform consent + other legal forms, ledger sheets etc. No need to waste time to scan them. I’ve done things this way since I started my first office in 2006.

There is no reason for me to switch to digital when everything operates smoothly with the paper chart system. We are just as productive as the offices that use digital system. As an orthodontist, I see 40-80 patients a day, which is about the same volume of patients as what other ortho offices typically see. Like the above poster said, I don’t want my staff to surf the internet when I am not at the office.

Consider the fact that there must be an option to prevent your staff from surfing the net while at work. If you want to go beyond blocking websites, you can probably make it so that the computer will only use the dental programs while on the staff account, and then you can have your own administrator account with no restrictions.

There's always a way to make something work, and your staff probably isn't so tech savvy that they can get around such restrictions like a 20 year old computer science major or programmer can.

Today is the word of digital world where day by day increasing the popularity of E-learning system where we can easily find the references things. But other side book is less distractive because you can focus on actually what you want to learn without having any look of add.