Computer Science to Medical School Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rahul132

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am computer science master's student. I love computer science but don't want it as my career. Is it possible for me to get into medical school now. I have not taken any biology, organic chemistry or inorganic chemistry courses in my undergrad. As most medical school require, pre-requisite courses, where can I take these course. Is it possible to get into a school, study those courses for a semester or a year and then go to medical school. (I mean are there any medical schools that allow student to go through prerequisite courses after admission).

Members don't see this ad.

No because you need to have the prerequisite courses to take the MCAT which is necessary when applying.

Are you on an F1? If so, that is a bigger problem than the pre-reqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am computer science master's student. I love computer science but don't want it as my career. Is it possible for me to get into medical school now. I have not taken any biology, organic chemistry or inorganic chemistry courses in my undergrad. As most medical school require, pre-requisite courses, where can I take these course. Is it possible to get into a school, study those courses for a semester or a year and then go to medical school. (I mean are there any medical schools that allow student to go through prerequisite courses after admission).

You will need to complete the pre-requisite BCPM classes prior to taking the MCAT and applying for medical school. I don't think there is a program that will take admissions prior to the MCAT, and even if there are, they wouldn't be reputable programs. You should seriously consider whether you really want to do this or you are just bored of your current major. You're looking at another 2 years before you can apply.

If you do decide on medical school, absolutely look into research opportunities requiring programming/CS knowledge such as metagenomics. It will help you stand out for sure.

I am also a Computer Science Major. I will be applying to the University of North Carolina at Greensboro premed program. They have all the required pre-reqs that are required plus they will help with scheduling you for the MCAT. I think it's about a 15 month program.

Ahh computer science. When they have to put the word "science" in the title, there is no science in the program (social science, political science, etc). If you are missing even general chemistry, here is a typical fast path to medical school:

Summer year X: take all of gen chem
Fall year X: start bio / physics / organic
Spring year X+1: finish bio / physics / organic
Summer year X+1: MCAT, apply
Fall year X+1: interviews
Spring year X+2: finish interviews, decide on school
Summer year X+2: party, finish bucket list, etc
Fall year X+2: begin medical school

Unfortunately you posted this in August of 2014, so you've already missed the window for X=2014. The fact that general chemistry is a prereq for organic chemistry is going to really control your schedule, however you work it.