Computer Science vs Marketing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dafuturesurgeon

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
CS is a HUGE deal in medicine now with more and more technology being integrated every day. With a background in CS as an MD, one should have a better understanding of all the innovations.

However, Marketing (business in general) will come in handy when/if one would rather go the private practice rout.

Thoughts on the two? Which is a better undergrad major?

Members don't see this ad.

Whichever one you're the most interested in. You could always double major.

Members don't see this ad :)
I stepped back from medicine to choose my major. If I don't become a doctor, my bachelors degree is important for finding my first job. Talk to some professors, ask them about industry in their field, then choose based on what you'd want to spend 40 years doing.

CS is a HUGE deal in medicine now with more and more technology being integrated every day. With a background in CS as an MD, one should have a better understanding of all the innovations.

However, Marketing (business in general) will come in handy when/if one would rather go the private practice rout.

doesn't matter. your CS knowledge will be completely out of date by the time you enter practice.

and marketing isn't a real major.

CS. Much better job outlook if medicine doesn't work out.

Reactions: 1 users
doesn't matter. your CS knowledge will be completely out of date by the time you enter practice.

and marketing isn't a real major.

CS is like Medicine in that it takes keeping up with. And we still use old languages like C and C++ etc to program things... and new languages (objective C, IOS Swift) and many others are based on older languages

Go and check out a college major catalog.. Marketing is a major and a BIG one

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You want to go to college in order to make 30-40k at a retail store?

Family Business.. And working at a retail store with a marketing degree will get you more than 30-40k... at least 70k depending on the company. And besides marketing has so much potential especially with new things like AR and VR. Big companies are going to need people to market those new technologies and integrate new ways of advertising using those channels.

look at how the internet changed ads and marketing products. It brought about an "evolved" way of marketing called Affiliate Marketing. Some make a couple hundred a month and others make ove 200k + a month using that method.

Potential is huge with upcoming tech.. and 30-40k will not be a bench mark but maybe a starting salary.

Family Business.. And working at a retail store with a marketing degree will get you more than 30-40k... at least 70k depending on the company. And besides marketing has so much potential especially with new things like AR and VR. Big companies are going to need people to market those new technologies and integrate new ways of advertising using those channels.

look at how the internet changed ads and marketing products. It brought about an "evolved" way of marketing called Affiliate Marketing. Some make a couple hundred a month and others make ove 200k + a month using that method.

Potential is huge with upcoming tech.. and 30-40k will not be a bench mark but maybe a starting salary.

Good luck with that. Why mention "new things like AR and VR"? Isn't that just a couple gaming devices that some companies made? You realize gaming is a market with like 3 big companies and a couple dozen small ones? But yeah, I understand that new things are being made and people will need help marketing them. That's been happening forever. You'll still come out of college making as much as a ups worker.

Good luck with that. Why mention "new things like AR and VR"? Isn't that just a couple gaming devices that some companies made? You realize gaming is a market with like 3 big companies and a couple dozen small ones? But yeah, I understand that new things are being made and people will need help marketing them. That's been happening forever. You'll still come out of college making as much as a ups worker.

Obviously you are closed minded. Do some research on AR and VR.. VR will mainly be for gaming but it will be used for other stuff. AR will be bigger and get this.. of the $1.7B that was collected in 1 year (2015) about 70% of that is going to AR to implement into Medicine, construction, shopping, engineering, and much more.

Either way a marketing degree will not be as low as you may think.. do a quick google search

http://www.allbusinessschools.com/business-careers/marketing/salary/

lowest is about $61k.. and if you have a marketing degree, you can do so much more thank just marketing because you have a Business Administration Degree with emphasis in marketing. thats how those types of business degrees work.

For example look at CEOs and managers etc.. they all have some sort of business degree and make only 30-40k a year.. oh my bad more like millions.

Lets not even mention the physiological aspect of marketing. More and more experts will be needed to figure out social economics and implement those.

what are commercials? a Trillion Trillion dollar business. i guess everyone makes as much as a ups worker there too huh?

Computer science by far. You can do stuff in marketing/business by working somewhere, gaining experience/skills, and getting an MBA paid for by your employer. An undergrad degree in marketing is meaningless.

Reactions: 1 user
Obviously you are closed minded. Do some research on AR and VR.. VR will mainly be for gaming but it will be used for other stuff. AR will be bigger and get this.. of the $1.7B that was collected in 1 year (2015) about 70% of that is going to AR to implement into Medicine, construction, shopping, engineering, and much more.

Either way a marketing degree will not be as low as you may think.. do a quick google search

http://www.allbusinessschools.com/business-careers/marketing/salary/

lowest is about $61k.. and if you have a marketing degree, you can do so much more thank just marketing because you have a Business Administration Degree with emphasis in marketing. thats how those types of business degrees work.

For example look at CEOs and managers etc.. they all have some sort of business degree and make only 30-40k a year.. oh my bad more like millions.

Lets not even mention the physiological aspect of marketing. More and more experts will be needed to figure out social economics and implement those.

what are commercials? a Trillion Trillion dollar business. i guess everyone makes as much as a ups worker there too huh?

If you think that this marketing program can make you into the CEO of a multi-million dollar company, go for it. I personally am a bit more skeptical of college. I've gone to one year so far and it seems like a place where you hang out with friends and go to class sometimes. They told me they'll teach me how to become a certified engineer though. So... that will be worth it. It especially will if I don't get into med school.

Last edited:
CS is like Medicine in that it takes keeping up with. And we still use old languages like C and C++ etc to program things... and new languages (objective C, IOS Swift) and many others are based on older languages

exactly. I wouldn't go to a physician who hasn't practiced in 10+ years... what makes you think you will be able to keep up?

Go and check out a college major catalog.. Marketing is a major and a BIG one

not at colleges that I'm familiar with.

As a student whose university boasts one of the best business programs in the world, I'm a firm believer that personal experience in business trumps an education centered around it because there are some things you just can't teach in the classroom.

While you certainly can pick up the tools you need to obtain a job in tech, a CS major teaches you how to think more abstractly and trains your mind such that you'll be prepared to accustom yourself to new frameworks/languages/etc that rise in popularity as others fall. A CS major definitely is respected not only among tech companies but across all of computer science's subsets (in the case of medicine - bioinformatics oriented labs/companies will respect you easily).

Of the two majors, I'd do CS and if you're still interested in doing marketing there will eventually come opportunities where you can obtain real life opportunities to obtain those relevant skills.

Granted I'm majoring in Computational Biology so I have a natural tech bias.

exactly. I wouldn't go to a physician who hasn't practiced in 10+ years... what makes you think you will be able to keep up?

The simple fact that OP would then have very limited job prospects/be unemployed would light a fire under anyone's ass.