COMS-Des Moines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hawkeye

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is everyone's thoughts on COMS in Des Moines? I am only a sophomore, but I visited the school a couple of weeks back and I was really impressed. How does this school compare to other osteopathic universitys??

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Hawkeye- funny you asked that. Dr. Murphy (Dean of Admin) just gave me a call earlier today.
smile.gif
Do you have any specific questions, or do you want just a general impression? I think it's a great school. The faculty is definately among the most friendly that I have seen. The school is nice, with lots of space, though it's kind of on the older side. Des Moines, the city, is actually a pretty neat city. I like it. Anything else?

------------------
Sara
Class of 2004 at XXXXX

Yeah that is pretty much the impression I got from my visit. Maybe you don't know for sure, but how competitive is the admissions process?? Average G.P.A. overall and sciece, plus MCAT? Do you know where most docs do their residencies?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hawkeye, here's a reply from an earlier post.

I graduated from UOMHS in '98. I'm also a hawkeye and did several years of clinical research at UIHC before going to medical school. UOMHS pales to U of IA as far as facilities go (i.e.: UIHC is the largest university hospital in the country), but the didactic education is right on par. Think of UOMHS as a private college (as it is): more personal attention and the entire University is geared towards teaching students (one of the advantages of professors who are only moderately involved in research).

UOMHS also has other health care programs, so there are more faculty and facilities available for teaching. The medical library is the largest in central Iowa and they have a great computer center. Also, medical students can take advantage of the dual degree program. After the first semester, you can apply to get a MHA or MPH in conjunction with your medical degree.

While the first two years are excellent, the last two years are entirely dependant on how much you put into them... Since students schedule their own rotations, the clinical years can be excellent or you can choose to slack-off. A couple students in my class scheduled a majority of 'cake' rotations and spent the more time snow skiing than learning medicine (they ended up getting busted by the Clincal Affairs Office). I guess the Clinical Affairs office has been cracking down on this, and they now require more close supervision from 'known' sites and keep in touch with on-line examinations and patient logs... An obvious advantage to having so much control over the schedule for the last two years is an opportunity to move to a location you prefer, and more importantly, training at great clinical sites, and getting exposure at programs that may interest you for residency.

As is true of any medical school, what you get out of UOMHS is entirely dependant on how much you put into it.

Good luck with your decision.

To SD:

When did you interview at Des Moines, or how long after you interviewed did Dr. Murphy give you a call? TIA

RAM - I interviewed there on the 15th and heard the 29th. However, they did say that we could call one week after our interview and see if they've met yet. Dr. Murphy has been away for a couple of weeks and I think that slowed some of the paperwork down. Try giving them a call, I'm sure they don't mind.

------------------
Sara
Class of 2004 at XXXXX

Hello,
I am a 4th year from Des Moines University- Osteopathic Medical center. At Des Moines you will get an excellent education the first two years. The third and 4th years are up to you! Myself, I think that the school is unethical. You still have to pay the 24,000/yr but in the 3-4th years you get no support from the school. They have a new president now, Dr. Ryan. He is very good and things will be changing in the third and fourth years soon. Don't let this bother you too much, you will get out of your rotations what you put into them. If you have more questions about anything please fill free to email me "[email protected]"