Concern about Letter of Recommendation from past PI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IonClaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I'm a first year med student and interested in applying as an "internal" candidate for my school's MD/PhD program.

My only concern is with a past PI from my Master's years (at a different institution than med school). When applying to medical school and asking him for a letter of recommendation (he was my professor, pre-med adviser, and PI - a perfect combination, or so I thought), he said that there were some areas that I needed to improve on. To be more specific, he thought that asking about instructions during a lab class (I did this a lot - I essentially would read the instructions to him in my own words and ask if my interpretation was correct) reflected a lack of confidence, etc.

I chose not to get a letter from him for med school. However, my research with him lasted about 1 calendar year, with a summer fellowship as well as a presentation. I didn't do a thesis, but essentially, it's been the longest research experience I've had so far.

So, I don't really want to get a letter from him for the MD/PhD program for the same reasons. I can get a letter from my current PI in med school (by the time I apply I will have been working with him for about a calendar year).

Is not having a letter from a past PI a red flag? I can explain it to the admissions committee the same way I did on here, but my thought is that not having it will hurt less than having a LoR with a red flag.

Members don't see this ad.

I've always been told the perfect letters of rec are the hardest to believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would ask the guy if he'd write you a good letter. If he says no, then go elsewhere. It will look bad on your application that you spent considerable time with a PI but did not ask him for a rec. To me this is a red flag.

Yeah, unfortunately you kind of need his letter, so excluding it would be a red flag. He may write something like "he was lacking in confidence" but although this is a blemish, I don't think it would torpedo your application. It's not like "he's a solid worker and can think through most things on his own" - which would be like the kiss of death.

Unfortunately, most letters are glowingly overinflated ("among the best 2% I've ever worked with") BS, so any recommender who takes it upon himself to "be more honest" and "state just the facts" is really doing you a disservice when the competition are getting mash notes.