Concern about Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
haha. Not exactly my intent. I would love to the be an over-dedicated , 24-7 physician, but i have personal concerns that might limit my ability to have this type of lifestyle. I'm thinking about psych vs neurology and I guess my question is : is the lifestyle in psych more cush than neurology in most/all circumstances?

Members don't see this ad.

There's a lot I like about neuro, and I forsee myself working mostly in the clinic (do not like the hospital--at least as a med student). My biggest concern is the exact number of "untreatable" somatic pain/chronic pain patients. I am really concerned about the amount of dissatisfaction that's been shared on this forum about these pain patients.

Hey, you'll have your fair share of frustrations in IM too. Example, 400#+ patient that never checks their blood glucose, the infamous "but I only eat one meal per day" line and blames you for their uncontrolled diabetes. No medical specialty is without its aggravations. Except maybe neuropathology? I mean patients can't really drive you crazy if they are a brain floating in a jar waiting to be cut up?

Reactions: 1 user
haha. Not exactly my intent. I would love to the be an over-dedicated , 24-7 physician, but i have personal concerns that might limit my ability to have this type of lifestyle. I'm thinking about psych vs neurology and I guess my question is : is the lifestyle in psych more cush than neurology in most/all circumstances?

My wife's close friend is a neurologist, and from what she says it seems like psych has the more cush lifestyle. She complains alot about lifestyle issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends a lot on what kind of neurologist you are.

If you specialize in stroke, ICU, or cover a lot of inpatient time, then sure, it's quite different from an outpatient only psychiatric practice. It's still not a surgical lifestyle, but it's not cush.

But there are plenty of neurology practices that are overwhelmingly outpatient (or purely), doing EMGs, EEGs, clinic visits, etc, with relatively infrequent call. Most of neurology is practiced on an outpatient basis. You can look up potential job postings online, etc to get a feel.

Ultimately, neurology absolutely does not have to be a grind it out, always on call specialty.

Correct, but most people are somewhere in the middle. To have absolutely no call (even outpatient docs take call for the practice) would require someone else to cover all your your patients off-hours, all days/weeks for the year, every year. Not bloody likely. It doesn't have to mean going into the hospital and seeing consults/admitting patients (although in some cases it does).

I'm an intensivist and acute stroke physician, which means when I am on, I am near the phone/computer and ready to come back to work at a moment's notice (when I'm not still at work). I get FYI calls and pages and issues run by me all hours of the day and night. That's a pretty rough call. But there are literally hundreds of days each year when that is not the case, when I can work from home, go to conferences, write papers, have lab meetings, write grants, write more grants, and write more grants again. Is that so bad?

One person's call can be very different from another. There are plenty of docs in my department who don't have an answering service, so they're on 24 hours a day, every day of the year unless they specifically sign their practice out to their colleagues. Is that bad? If you have a low patient volume, that might not be a big deal. But in a 10 physician outpatient pain and headache practice, a night on call could be pretty darn miserable even if all you're doing is covering the outpatient calls from the answering service. You need to consider the differences between outpatient, admitting in community vs. regional vs. academic centers, hospitalist/ICU, and stroke calls before you decide what you like and what you don't.

As a very broad, general statement, the lifestyle in psychiatry would almost certainly be cushier.

cleardot.gif

1. There is no shame at all in choosing lifestyle over work. Life is a multifocal decision making process. It is wrong for a healthy young male neurologist who's freshly married and carrying many K in debt to fault anyone else for not working as hard as they are. Personally, I feel that when I'm on call I work very hard. I take pride in waking up at 1 AM and giving tPA in <40 min. But now that I've been burned by many patients in various ways, I no longer feel I owe this hard work (both now and in the past - we offer tremendous abilities and professional expertise that is only built by thousands of hours of study and practical experience) to anyone.

2. Work less, get less. You cannot expect to make a ton of money and not cover hospitals. Nor can you expect to see patients, never have to deal with phone calls after the work is done. This is a decision. If you want to work less and get paid more, than do derm or rads. Personally, I could never gain satisfaction from that.

3. Neurology is taking a bath right now. But who can tell the future? My partner, for example, has started to perform skin biopsies. Others have started to do cosmetic botox. Another does ADHD, which is essentially cognitive enhancement (for those smart enough to ask for it properly). The future doesn't look entirely dark.

cleardot.gif

3. Neurology is taking a bath right now. But who can tell the future? My partner, for example, has started to perform skin biopsies. Others have started to do cosmetic botox. Another does ADHD, which is essentially cognitive enhancement (for those smart enough to ask for it properly). The future doesn't look entirely dark.

Neurologists performing cosmetic botox?!

Neurologists performing cosmetic botox?!

Yes. The current neurologists I know are looking for solutions to the cuts we face. Legal work and trials traditionally fill that void, but there is no way neurology will ever throw away something like brain imaging. I think we are not far away from tms use: you buy it, you fill it. I'm already seeing neuro trained intensivists put in licox and ventrics.

What cuts? Every salary survey I've seen shows an increase in compensation over the previous year.

What conditions will tms treat in neurology? Dementia?

What cuts? Every salary survey I've seen shows an increase in compensation over the previous year.

Cuts to ncv mostly.

And tms can treat migraine. Perhaps one day it will also be a stroke rehab tool. Neuron that fire together wire together.

TMS is already an investigational tool in stroke rehab. I would encourage anyone to look at some of Alvaro Pascual-Leone's work. He's got some amazing results from fMRI-guided TMS knockout of failed compensatory mechanisms after stroke. Re-wiring doesn't always go the way you want it to. I've seen him make chronic L MCA strokes talk again, for a little while at least, after one treatment.