Concerned about Psychiatry falling by the wayside

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What? My statement has nothing to do with any of the 'points' you are making. Someone assumed that NPs do not get training or clinical hours in child psych and do not take jobs in child psychiatry. I was correcting the false assumption regarding psych np training and licensing, nothing more. I certainly was not stating that psych NP training is somehow equivalent to that of child psychiatrists. Your last two statements had me chuckling though, so thanks for the laugh.

Most of us are quite aware of the..not practicing medicine..but practicing medicine...not trying to say we're better...just more holistic and patient centered...not trying to replace physicians...just trying to do the same job, and train and sacrifice way less to do it....scenario.

We're quite aware that you certify yourselves to do specialties.

There is no falsity of assumption to correct. You're skating glibly on thin rhetorical ice because you know you have no f'n business practicing child psychiatry on anyone with your level of training.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
annoyedfreud - it is obvious to any observer that you were INCORRECTLY referencing your nursing board's "license" for treating children as evidence of adequate training to treat children. I think that's what the doctors were objecting to. You must admit it's a little absurd to claim that if non-C/A fellowship psychiatrists are trepidatious about doing it themselves.

Frankly- the whole idea of a "nurse practitioner" is a snaky thing- medical care should be regulated by 1 set of rules.

Last edited:
annoyedfreud - it is obvious to any observer that you were INCORRECTLY referencing your nursing board's "license" for treating children as evidence of adequate training to treat children. I think that's what the doctors were objecting to. You must admit it's a little absurd to claim that if non-C/A fellowship psychiatrists are trepidatious about doing it themselves.

Frankly- the whole idea of a "nurse practitioner" is a snaky thing- medical care should be regulated by 1 set of rules.

Woah. Based on the responses I am getting, I do not believe I have been very clear. I truly was just trying to correct what a previous poster stated (ie: that psych NPs do not compete for positions in child psychiatry because they can't practice child psychiatry). Look at the original post I replied to. The reason I talked about licensing is because relatively recently the psych NP cert was changed so that all psych NPs must get 'lifespan' training and this includes clinical hours across the lifespan, including child. It used to be more segregated (there were adult psych nps, child psych nps, etc.) and now it is all one. I really was just trying to clarify a misunderstanding.

I never claimed it was adequate training to practice C+A without supervision. Hah. I certainly don't believe it is. Also, I had no idea that the profession of NPs was 'snarky'... that's a new one for me. Look, I understand you guys get emotional about the whole NP thing, but I didn't mean any harm with my comment. People make a lot of incorrect statements about NP training/licensing, what they can legally do, etc., on this site, so I was trying to clarify. Psych NPs can see children if they have the new license. This means they had some level of child training during school. Is it equivalent to a child psychiatrist? No. But I never was arguing that. If they have an older license, then they may or may not be able to see kids, depending. I believe zenman, for example, can't see kids because he has the older adults only license.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right. It's a separate license that allows for equal practice rights--in an ever growing number of states. You're not about to sign up for the training we commit to just for giggles. You're gonna tip your toes in the water and then just start giving it a go on your own. And you'll learn on the job with vague supervision standards. After enough mistakes and effort you may eventually be up to par. People may love you while you make mistakes on them.

I know because people inherently trust me and I don't the what the f@ck I'm doing.

Those are the practical realities of NP politics.

I'm not impressed by conciliatory notions of people who benefit one way and then cop out another. You take that as emotionality. But you mistake the deadpan coolness with which I say it.

They're just facts. You're cohort will dumb down the workforce. It's an experiment. Maybe a little bit of something spread around more will be the best for the greatest number in the end. Who knows.

But I'm way too tired from training my ass off in ways you can't guess at to be emotional about it.

If this is what the people want, give it to 'em. And if it's psychiatry and medicine by the wayside, then so be it. I'm happy to be a member of a dying guild. We don't build today like the Masons used to. And yet we wish we did.

Reactions: 1 users
Esoteric ramblings aside, I think we're more on the same page than not.

Its a trend across the healthcare, compartmentalize and de-skill your labor force. Its the corporate strategy for all labor intensive enterprises. Its how you further control the economics and decrease wages for maximum profit margin. Whether it be an assembly line at a ford plant or an ED/pcp office/inpatient consultation

Woah. Based on the responses I am getting, I do not believe I have been very clear. I truly was just trying to correct what a previous poster stated (ie: that psych NPs do not compete for positions in child psychiatry because they can't practice child psychiatry). Look at the original post I replied to. The reason I talked about licensing is because relatively recently the psych NP cert was changed so that all psych NPs must get 'lifespan' training and this includes clinical hours across the lifespan, including child. It used to be more segregated (there were adult psych nps, child psych nps, etc.) and now it is all one. I really was just trying to clarify a misunderstanding.

I never claimed it was adequate training to practice C+A without supervision. Hah. I certainly don't believe it is. Also, I had no idea that the profession of NPs was 'snarky'... that's a new one for me. Look, I understand you guys get emotional about the whole NP thing, but I didn't mean any harm with my comment. People make a lot of incorrect statements about NP training/licensing, what they can legally do, etc., on this site, so I was trying to clarify. Psych NPs can see children if they have the new license. This means they had some level of child training during school. Is it equivalent to a child psychiatrist? No. But I never was arguing that. If they have an older license, then they may or may not be able to see kids, depending. I believe zenman, for example, can't see kids because he has the older adults only license.

I said the NP establishment was 'snaky' not 'snarky'. Surely that's not new to you. Some physicians are snarky, but perhaps rightly. Do you disagree that 1 set of rules- one board- regulating the practice of medicine is ideal? Do you support NPs being governed by a board of medicine instead of nursing (which what you aim to do is certainly not)?