Concerned I'm not competitive enough

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillyscientist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have been struggling with the decision of applying MD/PhD or regular MD for several months now. I have spent a significant amount of time doing research during my undergraduate and have really enjoyed it. I would like to continue researching and ideally would love a career that includes both research and clinical time (hence the interest in MD/PhD). But, I know I want a family one day and would not want to wait until I was completely through school and residency/fellowship. I know it can be done based on what I've read, but it seems like it is still very challenging for women to have a family and this type of career. My PI is very encouraging and would love for me to apply to MD/PhD programs, but I am worried I wouldn't be competitive enough with my MCAT scores and may need to find a different route to becoming a physician scientist.

Basically, is it realistic applying MD/PhD with my MCAT scores or should I try for MD and eventually a research track residency? Thanks!
  • cGPA and sGPA are 3.97
  • Major in biology and minor in nutrition
  • 27 MCAT (6/9/12) and 513 MCAT (130/125/128/130). I am worried about my CARs score (and overall below average scores for this program), but can't justify taking the MCAT a third time
  • AK resident
  • 3 years of scribing in ER and neurology clinic. Have been training new scribes on and off for the past year and a half
  • 2.5 years of research in same molecular/biochem laboratory using an animal disease model. One poster presentation at large national conference and one at smaller conference, two oral presentation at other conferences, and hopefully one first or second author publication by the time I apply. I have completed an honors college thesis in the same area of research and will be receiving departmental honors
  • Two research grants and a travel award
  • Normal amount of shadowing experience
  • Roughly 130 hours of volunteering in day surgery and a cancer research center. Also will have roughly 50 hours at a nonprofit medical society that sends supplies to countries in need

Members don't see this ad.

You are certainly competitive enough for MD/PhD programs. Check out the sticky on "what are my chances" in this forum. Your MCAT is about a 33, which is "OK" for MD/PhD. Your GPA and research are both in or near the "excellent category". If you put together a good application and have strong letters you should be OK.

Apply broadly (~20+ programs ranked with good spread of 1-50). I expect you to be reasonably competitive and end up with multiple offers, but it's best to apply very broadly than have to wait a year because you didn't apply to enough programs. I'm not familiar with the new MCAT but a 33 equivalent is fine. Make sure your rec letters are outstanding.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
While you aren't out of the running for MD/PhD programs, your MCAT is a bit on the lower side. Apply broadly and don't have your list be too top heavy

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the input. That was a lot more encouraging and relieving than I thought I was going to hear.

Just to address the family side. I worked with a resident this year who was MD/PhD and has kids. Her husband is obviously very supportive and I don't think he was in medicine (or if he was it was more on the business side - he wasn't a doctor). He does a lot of the childcare. She talked about what she wanted to do after and she was considering a fellowship but also felt like she had been in school a long time so wasn't sure if she would do that, or maybe come back to it later when her kids were older. She was still happy she did the MD/PhD route though because she enjoyed her research years. I think she had one of her kids during M4 which is an easier time to get pregnant.

I think it is doable, especially if you are going into a specialty that's more family friendly or less intense and I know at least for peds there is a research fast track option available at some programs for MD/PhDs (and other applicants) who want to do a fellowship and plan on a research career. (I don't know a ton about it but it's a national program.) Honestly, research time might be easier days for a family vs. clinical and having to be on the wards until 6 or 7 at night.

Reactions: 1 user