Concerned my full academic record will get in way

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych844

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a pretty average student for most of my academic record (B average) and had some kinks in my record (one particularly bad year), but the last couple of years I've improved my study habits and been more motivated because I know what I want to do in my life. I'm finally a pretty consistent student, high B+ average/A- area. I was also motivated to be a better student in my last year of my first degree and now my second degree because many Phd Psych programs in Canada only consider your last two years of your undergrad (for GPA calculations). But one concern I'm having, after reading one of the Uni sites, is that while they will consider my GPA with only the courses from the last two years, they will look and may consider the whole record to make a decision. I don't know if all the schools have such an outlook, but it wouldn't be surprising. What do you guys think? Will this get in the way?

I made a decision awhile ago that I will only be applying to accredited Canadian programs (that offer full funding), as I'm not willing to take on more debt. But we have only about 20 accredited clinical psych programs in Canada with about 60-200 applications for each school yearly and each school only admitting between 4-7 students. My past academic record is making me question if I'm really competitive for these programs.

Members don't see this ad.

The Adler School of PP is starting a PsyD program in Vancouver in the Fall of 2015.

FSPP are not as strict about GPA or GRE but usually need above 3.0 and 1000 for the GRE. I believe in Canada you can be registered with a masters degree in psychology. They will probably apply for CPA accreditation after their first cohort graduates.

Last edited:
I would not go to a professional school, and there is no way they would get accreditation that fast. (if they do, ever)

There is no professional school in Canada that has accreditation. (but we don't have many, maybe 1 or 2?)

Members don't see this ad :)
The Chicago School of PP is starting a PsyD program in Vancouver in the Fall of 2015.

FSPP are not as strict about GPA or GRE but usually need above 3.0 and 1000 for the GRE. I believe in Canada you can be registered with a masters degree in psychology. They will probably apply for CPA accreditation after their first cohort graduates.

I'm not sure that I would jump into a fresh program before it is accredited. Too much of a gamble. Take your time before applying OP. Do what others tell you on here to bolster your CV.

I'm not really willing to consider alternatives for a number of reasons. First, I've decided I want to go the Phd route (so no Masters). I've decided that I'm only willing to give accredited programs a chance (which are almost always fully funded).

I was just more curious if you guys have any experience with how Universities may view a record that isn't impressive overall, but has the necessary GPA, (strong last 2) GRE, research, to be competitive otherwise.

All of The Adler School's master's and doctoral programs offered at the Vancouver Campus are offered under the written consent of the British Columbia Minister of Advanced Education having undergone a quality assessment process and been found to meet the criteria established by the Ministry. Note that prospective students are responsible for satisfying themselves that the program and the degree will be appropriate to their needs.
Ministry of Advanced Education, Degree Quality Assessment Board (DQAB), Government of British Columbia
PO Box 9177
Victoria, BC
V8W 9H8, Canada
Phone: 604-660-2421
All of The Adler School's Master of Arts and doctoral programs offered at the Vancouver Campus have received ministerial consent under the authority of the Degree Quality Assessment Board.

All of The Adler School's master's and doctoral programs offered at the Vancouver Campus are offered under the written consent of the British Columbia Minister of Advanced Education having undergone a quality assessment process and been found to meet the criteria established by the Ministry. Note that prospective students are responsible for satisfying themselves that the program and the degree will be appropriate to their needs.
Ministry of Advanced Education, Degree Quality Assessment Board (DQAB), Government of British Columbia
PO Box 9177
Victoria, BC
V8W 9H8, Canada
All of The Adler School's Master of Arts and doctoral programs offered at the Vancouver Campus have received ministerial consent under the authority of the Degree Quality Assessment Board.

I'm just responding as an American that is not familiar with the Canadian system. However, OP was not talking about Master's programs, right?

I'm not really willing to consider alternatives for a number of reasons. First, I've decided I want to go the Phd route (so no Masters). I've decided that I'm only willing to give accredited programs a chance (which are almost always fully funded).

I was just more curious if you guys have any experience with how Universities may view a record that isn't impressive overall, but has the necessary GPA, (strong last 2) GRE, research, to be competitive otherwise.

Have the necessary GPA, do well on the GRE, have a few research projects, posters, conferences, whatever and maybe do some extra curriculars. Keep in mind, this may add time before you get in.

PO Box 9177
Victoria, BC
V8W 9H8, Canada

That is different.

In Canada, like the US, regulation of the health profession falls within provincial jurisdiction. You can certainly register as a Psychologist in Canada by going to Adler or many other schools that have had their programs accepted by their respective provincial governments, but Adler is not accredited by the CPA (Canadian Psychological Association). The schools that are are on the CPA site, http://www.cpa.ca/accreditation/CPAaccreditedprograms/

In Canada, accredited programs tend to be fully funded (minimum funding between 16 to 30k/year), and if you want to work in a hospital setting for example, you need to go to one of these accredited programs.

Reactions: 1 user
It seems that a good number of students from Canada receive funding at PhD programs in the USA. You might look at US programs since Canada programs are competitive. Your GPA may not be a major concern if you score high on the GRE and your undergrad degree was rigorous.

Reactions: 1 user
It seems that a good number of students from Canada receive funding at PhD programs in the USA. You might look at US programs since Canada programs are competitive. Your GPA may not be a major concern if you score high on the GRE and your undergrad degree was rigorous.

I would not mind a USA school at all if it was accredited and funded. Any list exist of such schools?

Most PhD programs are fully funded in the US. Seems that Canadians are well represented in PhD psychology program in the US and a number become faculty at Universities in the US.

Last edited:
Any more comments about how admissions my view this?

I think GRE score and research experience will matter more than your GPA, particularly if your grades show an upward trend. Funded PhD programs are so competitive that your grades will probably make a difference, just because anything might. But you may have demographic characteristics that schools want, or you might be a great writer whose personal statement makes them want to meet you, or you might be great in an interview. There are many factors. If you're determined to try, and to avoid non-funded programs (which indicates excellent judgment!) then there's no point in worrying about what you can't change. You didn't say much about your research background, but that is where I would focus. A known psychologist whom you've worked under and can write you a strong letter is stronger than a GPA.