Concerns about LECOM-Erie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did a majority of my rotations at Hamot - an excellent private hospital. Do not rotate at Millcreek...I repeat, DO NOT rotate at Millcreek.

What is wrong with Millcreek? I haven't heard anything good or bad about it so now I am curious. What made you stay in Erie for rotations instead of venturing elsewhere? Did you pick to do your rotations at Hamot or were you just placed there?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Are people seriously asking about seating? Next thing someone's gonna ask is what kind of bottled water is sold in the cafeteria.

:sleep:

I'm only in my second year, and trust me LECOM was the last place I wanted to attend and I think I was depressed for like a month.

HOWEVER, since attending the school and talking to my friends in other schools, it's pretty much same everywhere else.

Everyone talks about the dress code and no drinking ( i hate no drinking rule). It's fun to complain about it b/c med school life sucks to begin with. But call me crazy, but I started liking dressing up in a tie and pants (except exam days when I'm stressed) b/c i look damn good in it. hahah..

Assigned seating: yes, it's pretty much mandatory by your last name. You get to know your sections really well b/c you do pretty much everything with that group. You do have a choice to change when students start quitting or getting kicked out.

But there are some Pros:
1. you have a choice in your learning pathway. How many schools do you know that has 3 separate studying pathways that's available to you? If you dont get your #1 choice then work your butt off the first semester (b/c grades will decide if you will be allowed to switch pathways: it's always the numbers game!) Maybe I'm biased b/c I dont have to be in class all day ( i'm ISP); and my roommates are PBL and ISP( he was Lecture based but switched after one year)

2. Tuition is cheap and living expenses are dirt cheap compared to most schools! Going out isn't bad b/c there are plenty of bars around here and beers are cheap. Although they are starting to crack down on students drinking too much ( some incidence that occured while students were intoxicated)

3. location isn't bad and we have rotation sites in cleveland, Pittsburgh, some New york, philly, central Pa and as far as san diego and corpus christi. So, for rotation it's what you make of it. You can stay in Erie all 4 years and drink major LECOM haterade or move on to other rotation sites. I mean I wont stay in erie pass 2 years of clinical studying ( it's too cold, too much snow). But if you like snow and ice fishing this is the place for you!

4. education and professors: i have no complaints here b/c even though I dont get to see them often they are always willing to help and seemly do a good job of preparing you for boards ( I'll let you know). They have given us Qbank for free for next 6 months and have many review classes to help you prepare.

Okay, so the cons:
1. administration: he's right, they are not very helpful and sometimes very abrasive. Many times they are more worried about the Institution of LECOM than the students, and they are very (super) conservative.

2. It's cold...
3. We have asked where our 3-4th year money are going, but overall tution is cheap and most of the rotation sites are reputable and relatively well spread out in Pa, Ny, OH.

yeah, i hated this place too and yes i'll probably not choose to come back here. BUT I wanted to defend this place b/c it's not that bad. It's totally up to you to do extracurricular activities (volunteer, sga, SOMA, intermural sports, church, etc) to keep you sane in this place. It's medical school what do you expect? I just regret deciding to go to medical school not the fact that I'm at LECOM-erie

Members don't see this ad :)
Are people seriously asking about seating? Next thing someone's gonna ask is what kind of bottled water is sold in the cafeteria.

Dasani ..........:laugh:

LECOM sells bottled water??!! BOOOOO!!!!

Can anyone tell me if Biochemistry, cell biology, genetics,molecular biology, is needed to do good in the MCAT? or which of these classes would you recommend for the MCAT preparation.:confused: I don't want to take extra classes unless is really necessary.
Also I wanted to know, once I finish the 4yrs of DO and start the internship, does anyone know if there are tests or classes or is it just working like crazy in the hospital. The reason I'm asking this is because I would like to have my kids during the internship, but I need to know how it is first so I can have an idea of when I will be able to start a family more or less. :xf:

Can anyone tell me if Biochemistry, cell biology, genetics,molecular biology, is needed to do good in the MCAT? or which of these classes would you recommend for the MCAT preparation.:confused: I don't want to take extra classes unless is really necessary.
Also I wanted to know, once I finish the 4yrs of DO and start the internship, does anyone know if there are tests or classes or is it just working like crazy in the hospital. The reason I'm asking this is because I would like to have my kids during the internship, but I need to know how it is first so I can have an idea of when I will be able to start a family more or less. :xf:

All the above classes are NOT required but are VERY USEFUL during the MCAT b/c a lot of the bio passages are based off material learned in those classes. Personally, I believe I needed those classes to do good on my MCAT. I'd recommend all of them PLUS physiology. You will always have tests/exams during your career. Step 3 or Comlex 3 are required during residency on top of other individual tests throughout. The test material vary depending on the residency (excluding step 3 or comlex 3). You will have to take classes too depending on type of residency, e.g. radiology.:eek:

:thumbup:thanks a lot for your advise, I appreciated it. :)

Agnes Wickfield...glad to see a fellow dickens fan on here!

Yeah I know how you feel. I'm reading posts from a few years ago...and its got me a little worried.

Could some current students chime in on improvements or any progress the administration has made? PM me if you feel the need. I would really like to hear about the day to day life there.

What is the pass rate for the most recent class on their boards? What are the affiliated hospitals like?

Wow, it's been a while since I've been on SDN, but hi! Glad to know the literary reference was appreciated by some. If you are still planning on attending LECOM, I'll see you in the Fall.