Concerns...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicolee4111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum! I took my DAT recently. I would like to hear opinions about my chances of getting into dental school from everyone, thanks!

GPA: 3.8
PAT: 21
RC: 16 <--- major concern
QR: 17
Bio: 18
Gen chem: 25
O chem: 28
TS: 21
AA: 21

I applied to 8 schools: Howard, Maryland, VCU, West Virginia, New Jersey, UCLA, UCSF, and UPenn.

Please let me know what you guys think, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

With that gpa and solid AA, I don't see why you will have any trouble.
Good luck and relax :)

that 16 is below cutoffs. sorry bro, maybe next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)

Not really. It depends on the school. The cut-offs are arbitrary numbers and not all schools have cut-offs. Mostly it is recommended score but he has a shot.

Not really. It depends on the school. The cut-offs are arbitrary numbers and not all schools have cut-offs. Mostly it is recommended score but he has a shot.

this kids post is just a big ego boost. he has a nearly perfect gpa and a good DAT. what is he so concerned about, hmm?

3.8 with 21/21/21? You're fine.

However, there's one school on your list you might want to check with. Howard. It's funny because so few schools state required cut-offs, and Howard is one of them. They've decided to shoot for elite status or something this cycle. Besides the new 6 hours of required biochem, they now require 18s across the board.

this kids post is just a big ego boost. he has a nearly perfect gpa and a good DAT. what is he so concerned about, hmm?

That was not my intention at all for this post. I know I have couple higher scores but the 16 and 17 on reading and math really worries me. Thank you guys for the input I appreciate it.

If you are smart enough to have a 3.8 GPA and a 21/21/21, you should be smart enough to know you have a great shot at getting in to dental school.

Are you guys saying the 16 and 17 won't affect my overall average as much?

Correct. You should be fine at most schools

I think you should be okay you have solid GPA and good average overall

lol. arrogant remark when its not even true.
he has a shot in lots of school with good AA/TS even with that 16 RC + good overall GPA.
comes down to the rest of the application.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol. arrogant remark when its not even true.
he has a shot in lots of school with good AA/TS even with that 16 RC + good overall GPA.
comes down to the rest of the application.

more like a sarcastic remark.

I know you have a great GPA and AA, but I'd still worry if I was in your situation with RC and QR.
I'd recommend you to apply to 12+ schools in case some schools have cutoffs.
I'm pretty sure you'll get in somewhere though

Hi I'm new to this forum! I took my DAT recently. I would like to hear opinions about my chances of getting into dental school from everyone, thanks!

GPA: 3.8
PAT: 21
RC: 16 <--- major concern
QR: 17
Bio: 18
Gen chem: 25
O chem: 28
TS: 21
AA: 21

I applied to 8 schools: Howard, Maryland, VCU, West Virginia, New Jersey, UCLA, UCSF, and UPenn.

Please let me know what you guys think, thank you!
Low chance everywhere. Definitely retake the DAT since you bombed two of most important sections (RC and Bio.)

awh haha thank you for noticing I'm a girl. But yea I'd feel a lot more confident if I have 18+ across the board, not sure why some people take it as I'm trying to show off... which was not my intention at all. I think Howard is the only school that I applied to that has cutoffs... am I correct? My top school is VCU.

awh haha thank you for noticing I'm a girl. But yea I'd feel a lot more confident if I have 18+ across the board, not sure why some people take it as I'm trying to show off... which was not my intention at all. I think Howard is the only school that I applied to that has cutoffs... am I correct? My top school is VCU.

Looks like it. Howard with their silly 18 minimums. I don't see them upholding that requirement.

I thought the 'Nicole' in your username was a giveaway to gender.

I was in almost the same position as you. GPA>3.8, TS 21, AA 20

My two biggest blunders?

1) RC= 16
2) I applied in August

In all honesty, the RC will prevent you from getting some interviews because most schools view bio and RC as the most important. If you applied early you have a far better shot than I did. I got into only one school but it was my first choice so it worked out. Its stupid to cut kids off like you who have great scores except for being a point off in one section but that's how some schools do it :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:. Best of luck

Thank you for the input I'm happy to hear you got into your top choice. I sent out my application in first batch, also got some emails notifying me they've received my applications late June. I took my DAT last week, will my application still be considered as early? Thank you!

i know a few schools like UNLV take RC very seriously (they said it pretty much matches the national board exam score later)

but i guess you're fine with your high gpa and overall AA
good luck

i know a few schools like UNLV take RC very seriously (they said it pretty much matches the national board exam score later)

but i guess you're fine with your high gpa and overall AA
good luck

Many schools take RC very seriously. I'm not sure which ones though, someone had a document floating around on these boards...I was surprised at the emphasis on RC.